Chapter 33

MADDIE

Ashton helps me out of the car, and I quickly check if the gown sits alright. I'm wearing a pastel pink dress with glitter, a white fur coat on my shoulders since it is late October after all, diamond earrings hanging from my ears, a matching necklace around my neck and silvery heels. Ash is in his attempt of a suit, well the buttons are untied, no tie in sight and his hair is messy.

"Want me to fix it?", I ask him before we enter.

He shakes his head, being moody. He's been moody these past days. Ever since the Mya-thing, if you'd ask me. "It doesn't matter anyway", he mutters. I take his arm and we both walk up the staircase, heading towards the big entrance. There is a valet welcoming us and offering us some champagne, without alcohol, since it's supposed to be a party for underage people, but I'm sure most of the people here snuck in alcohol anyway. I know Ash has.

As we enter, the first thing I notice is how big the space is. Then the lights. And the loud music. This is a real disco, with a DJ playing the song that are big on the internet now. I look around hoping to find somebody I know. I recognize most people here, but mostly by their names and who their parents are. I also see some kids from our school, who come greet me and Ashton, and we act polite. I mean, I act polite. Ash just tunes out and seems to be searching for someone. As he doesn't find the person, he whispers in my ear: "I'll go to the bar, do you want something?"
I shake my head thankfully and continue to make my way on the dance floor. A few guys want to dance with me, but I don't, since I don't want any guy but Lukas touching me. Yet there are many people watching curious so I give up and accept one dance with one of them. There's a club song on, so he starts dancing rather close to me, his hands on my waist, his mouth inches away. I feel frozen inside. And I can't help but ask the universe for help.

"So, Madeline", the guy begins.

"It's Maddie", I interrupt. "Just Maddie."

"Already going for nicknames", he replies smirking.

That saving would be good now.

But it doesn't come. And I have to keep dancing with him. The song obviously has to change to a slow one, for luck seems to be fighting against me lately, and he comes even closer.

I let him lead me on the dance floor, and although he seems to be enjoying this, I know I'm not.

I am looking over his shoulder as I notice a pair of eyes staring at us.

Lukas.

And he seems anything but happy about the scene.

He looks as if he'd like to come and end it any moment, but can't because of us being who we are. Our last names.

"Excuse me", I tell the guy and make sure to rush my way to the nearest empty room.

It looks like a dining table, yet it is dark and the tables have white cloths on it, probably not having been used in a while.

The door opens behind me.

And Lukas enters.

I throw myself in his arms as I can see he closed the door and start crying: "I'm sorry", I whisper, my face sunk in his chest. "I'm sorry. I had to."

He presses his lips on the top of my head, giving me a soft kiss. "I know. I'm sorry I couldn't be the one you danced with."

I nod, since he's the only one I'd like to dance with.

Before I know, he pulls out a small AirPods case from the pocket of his tux and his phone. I notice his wallpaper is a photo we took of our shoes out hiking. He couldn't put a picture of our faces, since people would know. No one can tell just by the shoes. They could also be Mya's, so it is really safe.

He plays with a strand of my hair, then places one of the earpods in my ear. The second one he uses it himself. He opens his Spotify and starts a song. From a playlist. "With her". With a picture of us two in the forest as cover. Of us kissing.

"You made us a playlist?", I ask surprised.

He nods. "I needed a way to feel like I'm with you when I can't be."

I come closer and wrap my hands around his neck, pulling him to me, kissing his lips. "I love you, Lukas."

He smiles as he kisses me back again. "I love you too, Daisy."

He places his hands on my waist, and we begin to dance with the music. At one point, I put my head on his chest and keep dancing like that. No one has to say anything. Being together says everything we need. I kiss him one more time just to make sure I'm not dreaming.

"When I saw you with that guy", he whispers, breaking the silence. I look up to meet his eyes. He continues: "When I saw you with him, I had some rather brutal thoughts about what I'd do to him if he dares to kiss you." He swallows hard, not knowing whether to continue. But he does: "I know I shouldn't be possessive, but it seems like I can't help it when it comes to you. Please don't let anyone but me touch those lips. Please."

I can't help but step on that edge. "What would happen if I do?"

He looks rather worried. "Then I'd make sure your lips were the last ones he touched, for dead people can't kiss."

"Would I be in trouble too?"

"Heck no. There is no way I would ever hurt you. If you kissed other lips because you wanted, then I'd do everything I can to make sure I become the man to whom you'd give all your kisses."

"You're perfect just the way you are", I whisper in his ear, planting a kiss on his neck. "All my kisses are yours", I continue, my lips still on his skin. "I'm yours."

"I'm yours too", he whispers.

I smile as I press my lips on his. And as we continue dancing.

There's a party outside but the greatest one is the one happening in my heart right now.