Chapter 10

ASHTON

Of course she had to be here.

Of course she had to be here and get inside my system again.

She's sitting on one of the benches, books all around her, her gaze so focused on the words, as if she would be personally fucking each letter.

I wonder how it would feel like to have that gaze on me.

"Last I recall, the pets weren't allowed here", I tell Lukas as he runs past me. I would never call Mya a pet, if she would be with me, I'll make her the ruler of my kingdom, her word my law. But I need Lukas to get her the heck out of here, so that my mind can still remain sane. I know it's not, I've never had a place to call home and I'm lusting over the girlfriend of my co-captain.

But I still have that one brain cell telling me not to go straight to her and fuck her on the bench. Right here and now. With her boyfriend watching.

See. I'm perfectly sane.

Lukas stops, and turns around, his gaze colder than ever. "What did you say?", he hisses. I have never heard him use this tone so far. Turns out Little Miss Perfect does play her charm on him too.

"Pets need out", I repeat, since she currently started to bite her bottom lip at something she read.

Lukas sighs, planning to walk away. Without any warning, he turns around punching me with his whole strength in my face. As his hand is away from my face and he starts flexing, I touch my nose and see blood.

Fucker.

"Lukas", Mya screams, starting to run down the stairs. She gets over the fence and runs over to where the two of us are still staring at each other.

"Winthrope, Delance", coach tells us. "A word."

Mya's eyes are still on Lukas as he turns to her and kisses her forehead, as if a sign to tell her it's all okay. It's not. From all the guys on this planet, why him? Why the heck him? He is nothing but a piece of shit. He might play his old money, gentleman act, but he doesn't deserve her.

None of them do.

Neither do I.

But I'm a selfish fuck who doesn't care.

"Lukas, you don't have to go", I can hear her tell him concerned. "He's a piece of shit, he deserved it. You don't have to go."

That hurt more than I will ever admit. "Wow, thanks", I reply, trying to make my voice stay as unbothered as ever.

Mya offers me a death glare. "What, as if it wasn't your fault?"

"Your boyfriend punched me."

"Because you must have said something." Mya sighs exhausted. "What did you say anyway?"

I sigh.

"What did you?", she shouts now.

Lukas shakes his head. "It doesn't matter, love. It's fine. It was just something about the game."

She doesn't believe him. I can't believe he lied.

"I'll go talk to Coach, meet you outside?", he asks.

Of course they have to go on a date tonight.

Of course she has to smile and make her blue eyes reflect the sky. She said in her letter that blue is her favorite color. What she doesn't know, is that it's mine too. And I'm staring at the reason right this moment.

"Okay", she mumbles. Lukas looks at her one more time, nodding, and leaves to Coach. I plan to do the same but I find a heel pressing on my foot.

I look up and find her eyes sending darts. "Watch it", she threatens.

That's my girl.

I walk away with a smirk.