Chapter Nine: Finally

•Two Weeks Later•

As the guys practiced and played their gigs, I watched them all Bret always came to me after each show with a smile and we would drink together, now I sat wearing a black shirt, blue jeans, boots and watched the boys perform a song they just wrote called Play Dirty, when Bret told me the name I had asked "Is everything you write going to have the word dirty in it?" He just laughed and kissed me.
They got done and gathered round me at the bar Bobby wanting a beer, C.C. whiskey, and Rikki wanting vodka, Bret kissed me and smiled "You did great" I told him, he smiled "I always do great, because ,my good luck charm is here" he smirked and kissed my cheek as he got a beer from the bartender. He smiled and walked off, I frowned Rikki gained my attention "Mel Bear!" He yelled, and I went over "This is Stephen Pearcy, he is in a band too."
I shook his hand and turned to Rikki "Where did Bret go?" I asked, he smirked "It's a surprise, shortie."
From the corner of my eye I saw C.C. banging his beer bottle against the table, I frowned and walked over "Are you okay C.C.?" I asked, he sighed "Just dandy" his smile was forced, I kissed his cheek "Whatever is bothering you tell me."
He shook his head, and smiled "I'm okay, for sure."
I ruffled his hair and saw Bobby come over trying to dance all the way, failed and finally gave up giving me the beer. I laughed and saw Bret come in holding a rose, he gave it to me and kissed my cheek "Lets get out of Here" he said, and wrapped a arm around me as we walked out of the bar.
As we got to the door of the apartment Bret picked me and held me bridestyle as he toted me up the steps to the roof, he put my down and I saw a table with candles and plates that was covered with napkins "You cook for us all the time, so I decided to do a little something for you" he chuckled, I turned around and kissed his cheek, as he walked me to the table he had this big grin on his face, he smiled " I love you."
I smiled up at him as I sat down "I love you also."
After we ate the burgers Bret cooked we ate apple pie, when I took the napkin off my piece I froze.
A engagement ring sat there, it had a purple stone on it, I looked at Bret who grabbed the ring and my left hand "Amelia Jo Heart" he said "Will you please marry me?" He asked, and I gulped and smiled "Yes?" I said, he jumped up and picked me up twirling me as he put the ring on my finger.
He kissed me "It took me three gigs to buy that, beautiful, you better love me" he said, and kissed me again, I giggled as he set me down and kissed the tip of my nose "If I didn't love you, honey you'd know it" I told him, and kissed him.

When Bobby, Rikki and C.C. came home, they congratulated us and grabbed a beer, I sat on Bret's lap and snuggled into him, C.C. had a piece of paper in his hands and tried to write, Rikki was banging his drum sticks on the coffee table, Bobby was softly playing his bass. Bret kissed my shoulder "We got a show in two days, we need a new song" C.C. said and groaned he sat sideways, leaning his head off the side of a arm rest, I laughed he smiled and winked.
Bret made a face "How about we sing -"
"Or how about that new song you we're working on?" I asked him, he gave me a look "How about you four work on that and I will go buy beer and some things to eat for us tonight? " I asked. And grabbed my jacket before the could argue with me.
  I walked out into the night, and heard footsteps behind me, and he asked "How does it feel to be engaged?" Bobby asked. I sighed "Its all I ever wanted since I saw Bret." He gave me a look "But, now?"
"Bret has changed."
Bobby put his arm around me and leaned his head on mine "Mel Bear, you know you dont have to marry him if you dont want-" I groaned "Thats the thing Bobby, I want to. I love him, but if he don't quit acting like a jerk-"
"You won't marry him."
  I didn't say anything, but Bobby knew, so he frowned and stuck his tongue out at me

  We arrived back at the apartment, and I cooked as Rikki tried to hit my head with his drumsticks, I ducked every time not missing it, and I heard the door open and C.C. and Bret talking I raised up my head, and Rikki came down with his drumstick. I squeaked and he laughed "Oh, and you were doing so good!" He yelled, I smacked him with my spatula and went back to cooking.
   Bret came over and hugged me, keeping me close to him, as I cooked he kissed my neck,and smiled hugging me with my back to him. I sighed "I love you" he whispered. I smiled leaning into him "I love you more."
Bad part is.
  I think I was trying to convince myself.