Igniting Hope in Every Filipino's Heart

Jose P. Rizal, born on June 19, 1861, in Calamba, Laguna, is the annals of heroism —a man of science, a scholar and writer, and to many young Filipinos is idealized as a model son and something of a ladies’ man. His achievements make him a universal role model, not just for Filipinos but for people of all backgrounds.

Unlike other national heroes, he did not bear arms or lead an army. Indeed, he preached against an armed rebellion, believing his countryfolk were yet unprepared for battle and so concluded that a revolution was bound to fail. But neither was he a milquetoast. While in Madrid, he challenged fellow propagandist Antonio Luna to a duel after Luna disparaged Nellie Boustead while in a drunken rage. Nellie apparently favored Rizal over Luna, and hearing the young lady maligned, Rizal challenged Luna to a gun duel. The gunfight did not proceed, fortunately, after Luna sobered up. Reports have it that, while a superior swordsman, Luna was not as good with a pistol as Rizal was.

As I gaze at statues immortalizing him, I ponder: Is he content now? Does he approve of our nation's current state? Does he still believe in the potential of the youth as the saviors of our homeland? Or does he question the purpose of his sacrifice?

I see shades of Rizal in every Filipino who has faced abuse and injustice, in every individual affected by the corruption of our leaders, and in the aspirations of our youth for a better nation. His essence echoes in those who seek opportunities abroad, in the struggles and fears of our people. But above all, I wish to witness his spirit in those who dedicate their lives to our country.

Rizal's legacy endures because he lived not for himself but for others and our nation. His selfless devotion sets him apart, for he lived and died for the noble concept of "love."

It's this love that sparks conviction, passion, and an unyielding desire for change in every Filipino. And that Filipino is ME.