• ☾ Chapter 6 | Letters and apologies ☽ •

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• . _________________ . •
~ Giyuu's POV ~

The air was getting colder.

The air was getting colder, and soon Winter would begin. The leaves on the trees had faded too orange, brown, and yellow. Now they were beginning to fall off. When I would simply be on missions, I'd slip on the soggy leaves that stuck to the ground. Autumn was here. And soon, winter would be too.

Winter always reminded me of Tanjiro and his sister Nezuko. When we had first met, it was Winter, I saw as his sister was pinning him down and his hatchet was forced into her mouth. I tried to behead her, but he stopped me and protected her. We had our dispute, and then that turned into a fight. I knocked him unconcious, and he made a clever move by throwing the hatchet at me, almost killing me. Then Nezuko and I fought, and I beat them both unconcious. That was when I realized, they were special. Demons have eaten humans for hundreds of years, the record showing for around 1,000–10,000 years, demons have existed, and for all these years they've attacked and slaughtered the innocent humans. Tearing them limb from limb, digging their fangs into the flesh, sucking out the blood, and leaving nothing but scraps behind. It disgusts me.. Nezuko though.. she has never, ever eaten a human. Her only attack on a human was when she attacked Tanjiro when she first transformed. Tanjiro takes good care of her, I can tell. And I'll try and take care of the two aswell, they're my responsibility.

I'm responsible for letting them survive.

I slid the window open, I looked outside and saw as rain poured down from the sky. The rain water was drenching the dirt roads, creating large muddy paths.. I just hoped I wouldn't have any missions soon.. I sat back against my chair, a book in my hands as I read. Reading was a hobby I was fond of. Characters in stories were much more likeable than people in the real world, now that I think of it, that sounds absolutely pathetic. But I don't really care. I like to read. In the morning, after breakfast, after a mission, after a nice warm bath, before going to bed, and on weekends. It was fun, it was relaxing and calmed my tensed up body. Every word that entered my brain as I read, seemed special, reading was very important to me, but writing— not so much.

I received a letter yesterday from Kochō, the day after I had walked her home. I haven't read it yet, and I'm a bit nervous too. I don't know why, but Kochō makes my stomach tingle, anything related to her makes my stomach tingle. When I think of her, when I see her, when I hear her voice, it all makes something in my belly tingle like pins and needles. These feelings are confusing me. I have never ever felt this way before, and I'm almost scared of these feelings. I shook my head, I don't have times for these foolish thoughts, or these foolish feelings.. I'm acting like an idiot now. A sigh releases from my lips and I looked back down to my book, my brows furrow down a tiny bit as I read, I'm already on the 90th page.. but even though I'm reading, my mind isn't full of the story, it's full of her. Himejima's daughter, not the eldest one or the two younger ones, her, Shinobu Kochō. I feel ashamed with myself for being so attached with her, it feels pathetic. I can barely read my book.. I place it down on a table next to me and look over to the candle, burning and giving me some sort of light. Suddenly, a raspy and rough voice squeeked into my mind, destroying those thoughts of her. It was my crow, Kanzaburou.