A Gathering

"So, question," Loki began, leaning back in his chair as he faced Rhea. "If you knew that foolish girl would die... why didn't you stop it? And why did you save the Huntress?"

Rhea sighed and met Loki's gaze. "Because it's a... canon event."

Loki raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "Ah?"

"Let me explain," Rhea continued. "It's true that as an anomaly, I can force the Fates to dance to my tune about fifty per cent of the time. However, there are certain events where I need to dance to their tune as well. Bianca's death is one such event. It occurs in every universe and remains unchanged. In the universes where she survives, it always leads to disaster."

Loki leaned forward, curious. "How so?"

"Well, Bianca's death is necessary for Nico to develop the strength he needs to survive," Rhea explained. "Her death allows Hazel to come back to life. If Bianca hadn't died, Nico wouldn't have acquired the strength necessary for his survival. He would perish within six months, Hazel wouldn't be resurrected, the prophecy of the seven would be disrupted, and Gaea would seize control."

A thoughtful expression crossed Loki's face as he absorbed the information. Rhea's smile remained on her lips.

"I think you understand the significance now. On the other hand, Zoe's death, although impactful, doesn't hold the same weight as a canon event. It set off a chain of events, yes, but they were temporary in nature. It's like when you remember someone who has passed away, and their death inspires you. Well, they can also inspire you while they are alive," Rhea remarked.

"Yeah... I got it," Loki replied, his voice laced with a touch of distaste. "I don't want to encounter Gaea anytime soon."

Rhea's smile widened. "That's why I will do everything in my power to ensure that things unfold as they should."

Suddenly, Loki's expression shifted, as a memory resurfaced. "Hold on... Isn't Ragnarök a... canon event, as you called it?"

Rhea nodded. "True, but unlike other events, Ragnarök is changeable. It takes on various forms across different universes. In some, it's the end of the world; in others, it's a colossal war where those who were meant to die still live. In another, Ragnarök consists of thirteen humans battling thirteen gods to determine if humanity deserves another thousand years of existence. In certain universes, Ragnarök doesn't occur at all. It is a flexible concept."

Normally the sky of the Plane of Equinoxia is always clear blue, but today was different, it was grey, and even the sea of the Plane was not calm.

"We have a mere two years until the war," Rhea remarked, her voice tinged with a mixture of anticipation and concern. "Yet, the Gods remain silent." She wore a subtle, knowing smile as if harbouring secrets of her own. "Leave it to Zeus to make the most unwise of decisions."

"Two years? Is that truly enough time to gather your forces and face Kronos?" Aidoneus questioned.

Rhea's eyes gleamed with unwavering determination. "Though many will perish, victory shall be ours," She smiled. "Yes, I am certain of it.."

"You should have disposed of the spy," Poseidonas interjected, his voice dripping with icy disdain.

Rhea's gaze met Poseidonas' cold stare, unfazed by his piercing words. "She still serves a purpose," she replied. "Kronos knowing our plans will be a double-edged sword, for it shall allow me to counter him effectively. His knowledge of our movements will be our advantage, not his."

Poseidonas scoffed with palpable derision, his icy demeanour unyielding. "Two years... and that camp believes their feeble preparations amount to war? How utterly pathetic," he muttered.

Aidoneus shifted to look at Rhea. "What about the boy currently aiding Kronos?" he inquired, his voice laced with curiosity.

Rhea's smile turned cold, a glint of calculated cunning shining in her eyes. "After failing to persuade Annabeth to escape with him, Kronos will push the boy to take the next move," she explained, her voice carrying a note of eerie anticipation. "That will mark the true beginning of the war."

"And how many are you willing to sacrifice for the sake of your goals?" Aidoneus inquired, his eyes fixed on the chessboard as he deftly moved his bishop.

Rhea contemplated her move, her gaze focused as she calculated her next strategy. "As many as needed," she replied firmly, moving her tower to a new position.

Aidoneus moved his queen. "I understand your determination, but don't you think your mother will object to you going to such lengths just for her?"

"What she doesn't know won't hurt her," Rhea responded, making her own move by sliding her queen across the board.

Aidoneus checked her, his gaze unwavering. "And if that isn't enough, what will you do then?"

Rhea's expression remained resolute as she met his gaze. "It will have to be enough... and if it isn't, then I'll sacrifice myself without hesitation," she declared, her eyes lingering on the last remaining piece on the board—the King.

Poseidonas interjected with a scoff, his voice carrying a hint of disdain. "The notion of sacrificing oneself is an insult to the very essence of being a god... but I cannot deny your unwavering resolve."

Rhea responded with a light chuckle.

Soon enough.