A clash between friends, birthday, and heart-to-heart talk

Annabeth and Rhea,

A clash, emotions fray,

Friendship's test today.

***

The rest of the summer seemed strange because it was so normal. The daily activities continued: archery, rock climbing, Pegasus riding. They played Capture the flag (though all avoided Zeus's Fist). They sang at the campfire raced chariots and played practical jokes in the other cabins.

Rhea spent a lot of time with Tyson, her new cows, and playing with Mrs O'Leary, but she would still howl at night when she got lonely for her old master.

Annabeth was avoiding her, and Rhea decided to give her time, she guessed that what she told Annabeth in the labyrinth finally settled in.

July passed, with fireworks on the beach on the Fourth. August turned so hot the strawberries started baking in the fields. Finally, the last day of camp arrived. The standard form letter appeared on Rhea's bed after breakfast, warning her that the cleaning harpies would devour her if she stayed past noon.

At ten o'clock she stood on the top of Half-Blood Hill, waiting for the camp van that would take her into the city. Rhea made arrangements to leave Mrs. O'Leary at camp, where Chiron promised she'd be looked after. Tyson and Rhea would take turns visiting her during the year.

Despite Annabeth avoiding her nearly all summer she came to see Rhea off.

She said she'd arranged to stay at camp a little longer. She would tend to Chiron until his leg was fully recovered, and keep studying Deadalus's laptop, which had engrossed her for the last two months. Then she would head back to her father's place in San Francisco.

"There's a private school out there that I'll be going to," she said. "I'll probably hate it, but..." she shrugged.

"Do call."

"Sure," she said half-heartedly. "I'll keep my eyes open for..."

There it was again. Luke. She couldn't even say his name without opening up a huge box of hurt, worry and anger.

"You shall delve into the darkness of the endless maze,

A traitor gone, the dead and the lost one raised.

You shall rise or fall by the ghost king's hand,

The child of Athena's final stand.

Destroy with a hero's final breath,"

Annabeth shook her head like she wanted Rhea to stop.

"And lose a love to worse than death." Rhea finished.

Annabeth froze and her lips trembled. "I...really hate you sometimes."

Rhea tilted her head. "Can I know why?"

"...Your excessive use of force in most situations, your indifference towards everything and everyone around you that doesn't affect you directly, you view everyone not as people but as ... something less even if you don't say it your eyes speak volumes of what you think about most people, I also noticed that you are quite manipulative, it's clear you don't trust the people you call friends, you don't even trust me! I know that you have many secrets Rhea and I am a firm believer of the right to keep stuff to oneself but it's not fair how much you know about the things around you and yet you expect us to tell you things!" Annabeth exploded.