(13)

A few days after Nobara's test, the four first-year students—Mei Kaminaga, Megumi Fushiguro, Nobara Kugisaki, and Yuji Itadori—were sent on another mission to rescue inmates of a detention center haunted by a cursed womb, under the supervision of Kiyotaka Ijichi, a jujutsu sorcerer.

The four first-year students and Ijichi were standing outside of the detention center, talking amongst themselves, until the sky started to rain a heavy downpour. Mei slowly became drenched with water since she forgot her umbrella at the dormitory. Luckily, Megumi was nice enough to pull out his umbrella and share it with the girl. She smiles up at him and says thank you to the ravenette, who responds with a casual "You're welcome."

Itadori runs to Nobara as she pulls out her own umbrella, begging to share it with her since he also forgot his at home, but the brunette refuses and tells him to go find someone else to share an umbrella with. The salmon-haired boy sulks as he walks over to Ijichi and stands underneath his umbrella with him. Itadori could hear some light chatter behind him, and he turned around, wondering who was making all that noise, until he saw Mei and Megumi quietly conversing with each other.

The noirette was rambling about something that happened to her the other day, while the ravenette listened to her carefully, his emerald-green eyes filled with interest as the girl spoke. Itadori had never seen Megumi look so invested when someone was talking to him; he always looked bored or uninterested. The salmon-haired boy gritted his teeth as he balled his hands up into fists, mumbling something under his breath as he watched the two students continue idly chatting away.

"Fushiguro, you lucky dog..."

Ijichi stares at the younger boy from the corner of his eye and lets out a sigh. 'Young people these days..' He pushes up his glasses. Ijichi clears his throat, making everyone instantly go silent.

"Our window verified the curse womb three hours ago." said Ijichi, looking back at the detention center behind him. "Once ninety percent were successfully evacuated, they made the call to seal off the center." He turns around to face the young jujutsu sorcerers. "Citizens within a five-hundred-meter radius have been evacuated as well."

Itadori raises his hand. "Ijichi-san, question." Ijichi turns his head to look at the pink-haired boy. "What's a 'window' here?" Itadori asks the older man.

"A window is a member of Jujutsu Tech who can see curses. They aren't sorcerers, though." The older man replied automatically. "Let's continue."

"Detainee Block Two. At present, five detainees remain there with the cursed womb. If this cursed womb is the type that metamorphoses, we predict it will become a special-grade cursed spirit."

'A special-grade..' Nobara and Megumi thought.

"Hey, so... I still don't understand what 'special-grade' means." Itadori said, chuckling awkwardly.

Kugisaki and Fushiguro huffed in annoyance as they looked away from the pink-haired male, while Kaminaga walked over to Itadori with a small smile.

"Don't worry, Itadori. I'll explain it to you." She says to the boy as she gently places her hand on his shoulder, making the salmon-haired vessel blush slightly underneath her touch. "There are five types of curses. Grade four curses are the weakest type; you can easily defeat them with a wooden bat. Grade three curses aren't too bad, I suppose; a handgun can easily finish the job. Grade two curses are somewhat difficult; it'll be a close call with a shotgun. Grade-one curses are harder to defeat than grade-two curses; even a tank may be useless. Lastly, special-grade curses are the strongest type of curse out of the five; you might have a chance of defeating one if you carpet bomb it with cluster bombs."