(15)

"I'm sorry for arriving late, my lady. Please forgive me." The fox-looking man apologized as he carried Kaminaga to the exit. He sees many wounds littered all over Mei's body and exhales calmly. "What am I to do with you, mistress.?" He sighed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The long, pink-haired male manages to escape the innate domain along with Kaminaga, taking her outside of the detention center; where it was still raining. The foxian fellow made sure that Mei was absolutely dry, using his body to shield her from the rain. At this point, the man's clothes were completely drenched from the drizzle, but he didn't seem to care; all that mattered to him was Mei's health.

The pink-haired man does a quick survey of his surroundings, making sure that there are no threats nearby so that he can find a place for Kaminaga to rest. When he came to the conclusion that there were no threats or enemies near the area, the fox placed Kaminaga down near a tree, leaning her upper body against its thick, wooden trunk.

"This isn't the best place for a young girl to rest, but it's the most I can do right now." said the fox, wiping a droplet of rainwater away from his face as he stood up underneath the tree.

Immediately after the pink-haired man sets Mei down against the tree, a pink smoke surrounds and engulfs him, and the man transforms back into a small, pink fox. He falls onto Mei's lap, landing on her thighs while squealing angrily.

'I reverted back into a fox?!' The pink-haired man, who was now in the form of a fox, thought. 'This is such an inconvenient time... Being in that human form exhausted a lot of my cursed energy.' He looks up at Mei's sleeping form, quietly observing how her chest rises with each breath she takes. 'If she were to make me her familiar, transforming into a human for a prolonged period of time wouldn't be an issue for me.' He exhales a sigh before laying himself down on Mei's legs, resting his fluffy head on her lap. 'All I can do now is just wait.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Laughter. The sounds of joy and idle chatter were all that Mei heard as she silently gazed up at the sky while being surrounded by three people.

To her right, there sat a man with long, dark hair tied into a low ponytail. He wore an outfit that was befitting of a general, and he had a red tengu mask tied around the side of his head. He held a cup of sake in his left hand, sipping it away merrily.

To Mei's left, there lay a female kitsune with short, white hair, fluffy ears, and a long, white, fluffy tail. She wore an outfit similar to the shrine maidens in Japan from back then, but the outfit had its own few additions.

Lastly, there was a female oni with long dark hair and horns that had red tips, resting her head on Mei's lap. She looked identical to the cursed oni that Mei fought earlier, except that she didn't have those two red marks running across her cheeks.

They all seemed to know Kaminaga very well as if they were close friends. But Kaminaga didn't know who they were... did she? For some reason, they seemed familiar.

"Spending time with everyone like this is relaxing." said the tengu general, turning to look at Mei with a small smile.

Mei nods in reply, returning the smile.

"Yes. I completely agree, Sasayuri," she responds. 'Sasayuri..? Who is that?' Mei wondered.

"Yeah! We should all hang out more!" the oni lying on Mei's lap blurts out, grinning from ear to ear. The white-haired kitsune nods her head in agreement.

All of a sudden, Mei's head began to throb painfully; a surge of memories came rushing into her mind. She stood up from the floor, clutching her head tightly as her body began to swing back and forth, to and fro. The three people surrounding her stood up from their seats, worried for the noirette.