Part One

No lies were told; no accusations were made against me. There were no scandals or controversies, but that changed thanks to him. My name is Sophia Lenora, and I come from a wealthy family in East Hills, NY, where corrupt and twisted people flourish. Becoming one was in my nature, but I was determined to escape that fate. Holding on to the coin, it almost flipped in my favor.

Unfortunately, Mister Liam H. Reed strolled into my life with his dishonorable friends. Liam was a man of cold, calculated lies. His piercing gaze seemed to see through your very soul. He exuded an aura of danger and instability, an unpredictable edge that could instantly cut through your defenses.

He was a master of manipulation, able to gain control of any situation and bend it to his own will. He was an expert in deception, able to twist facts and reality to suit his agenda. He could anticipate his enemies' moves and exploit their weaknesses.

Few could stand up to him, and those who tried like me usually soon regretted it. He was a force to be reckoned with, a man whose power was feared by all who encountered him. He was a dangerous presence, one that could never be taken lightly. My future with Liam was an inescapable truth or "luck" if anyone else had anything to say about it. It was not luck, but it was the only truth I knew.

"Liam, dear, would you escort Sophia to the soiree? "

With a red-black beaded dress and a black lace mask to cover my deceit of happiness, I headed with Liam to host the event of the season.

"You know it makes it harder to keep the appearance of our happy family alive when you storm into our engagement party with a very unattractive look on your face. "

"Well, Liam, it is a good thing I am wearing a mask, and I do not aim to please anybody, least of all you. "

"This I do not give a fuck attitude becomes you, "Liam barks sarcastically.

"Yes, the fake smile on my face says it all."

Liam rolls his eyes and walks us to the party's entrance.

I stop and sigh, "Can you leave me alone to deal with the party and continue the "good fuck" upstairs with yourself? "

"Sophia, is that what you are mad about? "

"No, I just want you to leave me. "

"I cannot leave; this is our engagement party. "

"One hell of an engagement to celebrate." I jest in anguish.

"Sophia," he turns to face me," I did not mean what I said about Carla."

"What you said does not matter. What you did with her is unforgivable."

"Sophia, Carla means nothing to me!"

"Oh, she is just one of those women you like enough to fuck, a slut."

"At least she isn't you."

"Well, I am not a slut." I notion.

"But you are no lady either."

"How dare you." I sent a piercing glare at him.

The doors open to the party, and Liam leans into my ear and whispers, "I saw you with him."

I snap my head toward Liam's conniving, angry face, "Who? Charles?"

"No, Daniels, Markus Daniels. When were you with Charles?"

"Maybe I fuck him when you fuck Carla."

He clears his throat and walks us into the soiree—the engagement party of the year. The live jazz band my mother insisted upon was playing At Last by Etta James.