Part Two

It is four months before this hell of a wedding to Liam happens. Nothing makes me feel more uncomfortable than the burning fact that I will be a Reed. Ugh, the thought of it churns my stomach.

"Good morning." I stroll into Liam's office.

Jack Brady, William McAlister, and Joe Sharp are sitting around Liam's desk, all conversing quietly as Liam quickly looks up at me.

"Hello, Sophia."

Joe turns and gives me a once over, "God, Liam. You better hang on to that one."

Joe is, in no kinder words, a "ladies'' man" who is all about himself. Then there is William, Liam's boring financial accountant. He always works on his latest spreadsheet or crunch numbers for Liam's next business prospect.

As if I were not standing here, Liam nods and says, "I would not worry. As it happens, she will not leave me alone."

"Oh, Liam, I am fine with jilting you. For me, leaving would be a pleasure." I mock in reply.

"Hear that, Liam? Sophia would be delighted to jump into my bed." Joe jests.

"Not before she visits me for a little nightcap," Jack adds.

"Guys cut it out. She would not sleep with you if you were the last two men on earth." William defends.

"Do you hear them, Liam? Talking about me as if I am some property to shuffle around." I look him in the eye, but he does not say anything.

He rolls his eyes, "must you be so against them all the time, Sophia."

"When they are being assholes, yes."

"God, you are relentless."

"You should tell them why you want to marry me, Liam."

"Oh, do not flatter yourself, honey. Even if I had a better reason to marry you, you would only ever be a trophy wife."

"Right. So, you want your friends to believe you do not love me?"

"They already know I am only in this for the money. William is my accountant. For Christ's sake, he knows how much I am making marrying you."

"Hey, do not bring me into this." William protests.

"Oh, do not worry, McAlister, he did not need you to be his proof. He has not touched me since the engagement party; that is all the proof you need to know he does not love me."

"Sophia, get the fuck out of my office!" Liam shouts in demand.

"Gladly."

I take two steps back and storm out, slamming the door behind me.

I wish that had not hurt as much as it did.

Liam is a monster, but I know that.