[III]

[Shifter]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The dinner was a quiet one. Neilsen and Alistair more kept eyes on the starving boy taking in his third filling of food since he asked for more--well more show than tell. Either way, Neilsen kept his eyes tight on him, keeping the talking to a minimum and having him focus on food.

But night was drawing above their heads and Charlie looked tired. Neilsen cleared his throat and looked to Charlie. "Do you want more?" He asked him. Charlie looks to the man and thought. He didn't have space for more and this was his first time having a filled stomach.

Charlie shakes his head. Neilsen smiled again and took up his and Charlies dishes. "Well Alistair is going to wash up the dishes while I take you back to the room." Charlie gulped and he stood up from his seat. This startled Neilsen at his sudden jump and then he reversed against the wall.

Here we go again..

Neilsen sets the dishes down, glancing at Alistair who sat still, arms folded at watching. Neilsen sighs. "What is it? What's bothering you, bud?" Charlie was distraught, his eyes looking for an exit but his pupils shook with even more dread.

Neilsen thought of a way to have him calm down. If his pulses were this stricken then he needs to go slow, understand what he's seen for the few hours he's spent with the teen. So Neilsen signal his husband's help and gave his attention back to Charlie. "Ok I understand the situation. I get your scared so I won't hussle you back. But you need to calm down buddy.." Charlie shaken his head continuously, his palms reaching to cover his ears. "Charlie.."

The boy didn't want to fall for this. They were to kind to him. It was all wrong for him to want to trust him, or stay much less and get them in danger. He needed to leave. Leave now!

"Charlie buddy- Charlie!"

The boy ran off as Neilsen drew his first step towards him. Neilsen tried to follow after him but Alistair was off his chair and tugging him back. Neilsen shot a questioning look up at the bigger man. "We have to get him back. Why are you stopping me?-" Alistair lent down and peeked his babbling husband on his lips before he grabs his coat. "Why don't you wash the dishes? Or in other words, stay here." Neilsen scowled at that but doesn't fight him on the already winning argument. "Just hurry up he could be so far by now."

Alistair shaken his head with a sly grin. Then he was gone, outside where the snow is about to fall from the sky and the cold will become unbearable. He just hope Alistair can find him quickly..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Charlie raced out, blasted with a weather he has never felt this much. His bare feet were going numb and itching him overtime. But he could deal with this. If only he could work with his animal, maybe, just maybe he will be fine. But he couldn't even bring out a tail. Guilt and more anxiety raised. Those men.. Oh he probably hurt them with his presents there.

But they could have been up to something, be working for those lab people.. yet it didn't sit right with him. He was to genuine to be someone so evil. He fed him, even helped him, promised no harm will come to him. Even the terrifying man was being kind-ish.. Charlie slowed down his running, his thoughts so jumbled now that running seemed to distract him. But no. He can't and won't let his feelings get in the way. No matter how kind, how genuine how.. safe they made him feel in just a few hours.. Was it even a few hours..?

A stab to his brain had Charlie lurching forward and holding his head. Things began ringing, the crook, rattle and howlers of the midnight creatures heightened in pitch and were the pinnacle of his emotional stress. Oh did his body ravage him from the inside, had him gasping as if he was suffocating. His fingers tingled then boiled. Charlie fell to the floor grimacing in severe pain. Then he blacked out...