Chapter 1: Annyeonghaseyo!

Misao had somehow motivated the boy to head back home, which she presumed, after following him, was around a bustling street food market. The street he entered was crowded, and Misao felt he may have hated living in such a suffocating place. Despite his return, Misao remained worried about him. She was scared the boy would attempt to take his life again after she left.

These thoughts kept wandering in her mind even when she arrived home. Her mother, Seo-Yun, noticed her gloomy face and inquired about it, but she did not answer. So, Seo-Yun assumed she was tired and was not in the mood to talk. That night, Misao was quiet even at the dining table, where she often chatted. Seo-Yun tried to make small talk with her but failed. She had never seen Misao so quiet. She did not even share her daily goings at school. Afterwards, Misao went to an uneasy sleep. She was so overtaken by the events that she skipped the show she watched regularly.

In the morning, Misao was having breakfast while listening to some news on TV. Her mind was somewhere else, yet her ears were seeping the information. When the information taken aligned with her thoughts, her attention shifted towards the news. The headline was about a young boy whose body had been found near an old building, and the police suggested that it was a possible suicide.

Misao paused in shock. She was sure it was the same boy she had tried to save, and now that this had happened, she had failed miserably. She became agitated. So, she gulped her breakfast quickly, grabbed her bag and left. Seo-Yun kept looking at her, all confused. She even asked her to slow down, or else she would choke, but to no avail. Seo-Yun wanted to stop her and question her hurry, but she decided not to.

Through the busy morning commute, Misao went to the busy street where she had last seen the boy. With a heavy heart, she went near the opening to the street. The nearer she came, the more her heart sank. She hadn't seen the boy's house, but if he had died, there would be some commotion in the area. Her heart began throbbing with anxiousness as she clenched her fists to calm herself. But her heart gave a leap of joy as the exact shaggy figure appeared from the street wearing the same clothes as yesterday. Misao loosened her fists and gave a huge sigh. All the agitation and anxiousness left her. Misao smiled a little and approached him. He looked at her, not recognising her at first. Misao looked at him, hoping he would recognise her.

"Aren't you that girl who stopped me from jumping?" the boy finally recognised her.

"Yes. By the way, I am Park Misao," Misao introduced herself, happy to know he remembered her. Her smile added a dimple to her cheeks. Unlike Ibuki's shaggy clothes, she wore an expensive-looking, well-maintained uniform. While Ibuki's hair was messy, Misao's hair was well-dressed, combed, and tied to a ponytail. Ibuki's eyes looked tired and drained, while Misao's eyes looked fresh and animated. Ibuki looked slightly paler in comparison to Misao.

"I am Ibuki Kaoru," the boy responded. Misao inquired where he was headed, and he said he was off to school. He did not ask her what she was doing there, nor did Misao tell her. She did not want to upset him.

Misao joined him on his way to his school. His school was not fancy, but he seemed okay with it. It was a two-building campus, with one building designated for classes and the other two for sports and other activities. The campus area wasn't immense, with only two playgrounds and a small park. After reaching there, Ibuki bid her goodbye, thanking her for accompanying him to his school. Thereafter, Misao headed towards hers.

She studied at one of the most well-known schools in Incheon. Contrasting to Ibuki's school, Misao's was substantial in area. Her parents wished to provide her with the best education and teach her the values of life so she could contribute to society. Her mother was a surgeon working at her father's hospital. Seo-Yun's father had built the hospital in his late 20s. Misao's father, Park Hee-Chul, was the director of a pharmaceutical company founded by his grandfather. Misao also had an elder brother, Park Rui. He was a young man of 28 and a psychologist by profession. He had graduated from a well-known university and was outstanding in his subject. Alongside, he was a great and loving brother. At the moment, he is working in a rehabilitation centre in Africa.