Chapter 24: The Song of death

"I don't fear death anymore; I fear to live being used

I don't fear darkness anymore, I fear to live in a blinding light,

I don't fear the demons anymore; I fear the devils in disguise,

I don't fear power anymore; I fear living powerless,

I don't fear losing anymore; I have nothing to lose this time!"

Ibuki was now a popular rogue in the facility. Everyone called him a madman. But he didn't care. His only goal was to unsettle those who brought him here, who killed Woshi and who ruined his life.

Ibuki had concluded that even if he died, he didn't care. He had nothing to lose after all. He was already lost to his family; he was living as a test subject, and his life was ruined. In such a case, the only thing he could lose was his life, but he did not care. But those who had held him captive had a lot to lose. If Ibuki unsettled them and turned everything into chaos, they would have more to lose than him. Someone who has nothing to lose is the deadliest person alive.

Ibuki's first official act of rebellion, as he saw it, was by not touching his breakfast. He did not eat a single bite of it. When the dietician who kept checking everyone's food-eating habits came to him, Ibuki did not bat an eye.

He sat motionless, his arms crossed. The dietician ordered, "Why, you? Why haven't you eaten your food? You are not going anywhere until you eat your food!"

Yet Ibuki did not move. He sat frozen and speechless.

The dietician took a piece of fruit from the plate and stuffed it forcibly into the mouth of Ibuki. In response, Ibuki spat it out on the face of the dietician.

Then, Ibuki lifted the plate and threw all the food on the dietician. "I will eat when I want!"

Right then entered Chang with his henchmen.

"Ibuki! I thought you had been warned against such behaviours!" he yelled. His henchmen ran up to Ibuki and held his arms behind his back.

Ibuki looked at Chang and smirked, "Chang-shi, I never said I heard your warning."

"Drag him out to the lock-up!"

As Ibuki was dragged out of there, he yelled at the top of his voice, addressing Chang, "Remember, I, Chang-shi, have got nothing to lose! You, on the other hand, have got a lot to lose. I don't fear losing anymore; I have nothing to lose this time!"

Chang stood frozen at this implicitly open challenge Ibuki had given him. For the first time, he felt threatened by Ibuki. He always thought of him as submissive and easily tamed, but today, he felt as if Ibuki would topple him down. He ran after him and called out his henchmen, "Take him to his room!"

Just that moment, Ibuki knew he had won. He had directed Chang to change his decision. He smiled in victory, however small it was.

Finally, after dinner, Ibuki was denied punishment, and his roommates returned. They found him lying flat in his bed, staring at the ceiling, murmuring something. Miyon went to him and asked, "Was it really necessary? Now you will have nothing to eat, and you will die of hunger."

"I do not fear to die. I do not," Ibuki giggled.

Miyon wasn't fascinated by his behaviour. He went back to his bed and lay there.

Others watched Ibuki as he remained still, muttering some words to himself.

After a while, Ibuki got up from his bed and opened the bedside drawer. He grabbed a pen and a notebook. He went flat on his stomach and began writing: