Chapter 30: A heartfelt reunion

The henchmen of Chang had been spotted at a diner in Seoul's Gangnam district somewhere more than twenty kilometres from Gangseo, where Chang was being interrogated. The police immediately closed in on them and held them. They were taken to the nearby police station and questioned as per Yoeun-Ho's directions. Yoeun-Ho waited for them to spill out the information before returning back to interrogating Chang. Ha-Jun had been sent to question Sungmin, to which he diligently obliged.

The men revealed not only the location of the facility but also shunned the involvement of Sungmin in the trial. They revealed and confirmed Yun-Ji's involvement. But why Yun-Ji was doing this trial and what the rest of the plan was they could not say as they did not know. Once this information was shared with Yoeun-Ho, he took it and went to interrogate Chang one last time.

Ha-Jun questioned Sungmin for two hours before finally concluding that he was innocent. His conclusion was naturally confirmed by Yoeun-Ho.

Yoeun-Ho revealed to Chang that his and Yun-Ji's involvement was no less than confirmed, and now he had to reveal the truth.

Chang held his nerve for a few minutes of the interrogation, constantly denying Yoeun-Ho's accusations. Yoeun-Ho was on the verge of losing it when there was a knock on the interrogation room door. In came Ha-Jun, Sungmin and girl. She looked young and was wearing a black coat, nek top blue sweater and white jeans.

On the sight of the girl, Chang jumped off his seat and exclaimed, "Imyong!"

"You know her?" questioned Yoeun-Ho.

"Of course he does. She's his lover," Sungmin said, seating himself beside Yoeun-Ho. "Right, Chang?"

Chang held his composure and sat down, "Yes, she is. What is she doing here?"

Ha-Jun responded, "I believe you would not want her to be also arrested. Helping a criminal commit his crimes is also a crime. And if you are true about the fact that Mr Choi is the real culprit, then she should know all of your doings for him."

Sungmin added, "She told us that you shared with her all the details of my trial, and if I am the wrongdoer, then it means she hid the truth, making her an accomplice. So I guess you, me and her all go to jail."

Chang gulped and said, "No! She has done nothing wrong. She knew about Mr Choi's trials, but they are....... Not the ones that you are investigating."

Finally, Chang broke down. He revealed all the information. He said that Yun-Ji wanted to work on drugs for a long time since Uno was born. She had sought permission from the authorities for the testing a dozen times yet had been denied. Her drug was not complying with the guidelines set for medical drugs, but that did not stop Yun-Ji from testing it. Knowing that being the director of Cheongug would make it hard for her to work on the drug, as in the worst case, if ever she was caught, it would tarnish the image of Cheongug. She did not want that to happen. That is when her husband, Sungmin's brother, passed away. Yun-Ji's eyes fell upon the naive young surgeon, her brother-in-law, Choi Sungmin. She decided that he would be very easy to deceive and turned him into a scapegoat. Although she wanted to continue the position within the bounds of the Gong family, she decided to give more importance to her dream.

Yun-Ji faked her illness. She pretended to be extremely sick and used it as an excuse to step down as the director. She then passed this position to Sungmin despite Woon-Gi's rebellion. She had placed Sungmin as a pawn. She then went on to hire Chang. She gave him the position as the secretary for Sungmin. His job was to simultaneously work on the trials for Sungmin and Yun-Ji. But in the scenario that he was caught it would be up to him to frame Sungmin.

Chang gathered young teens and adults from financially struggling families and broken families. He used their insecurities to drive them into agreeing to be a test subject. One by one, he captured unfortunate teens. After substantial numbers of people had been captured, he took them to Seoul. The initial testing was done in Incheon, and the best subjects were moved to Seoul, one of whom was Ibuki.