Chapter 25: When the veils fall

It was stormy, a night before Misao was to leave for Germany. The power went out in Misao's area, and she woke up to lashing rain and wind. It was the ongoing monsoon season. Misao was done with her packing. She had decided to leave for Germany slightly earlier than expected. Her initial plan was to leave in August, but she decided to go in July. That way, she would have time to understand the place and get to know it. She also wanted to go on the campus tour of her university.

Misao came down with her luggage for breakfast. She placed her luggage right next to the entrance and went into the kitchen. Her family was silent. She sat down to eat and, seeing the faces of her family, asked, "What's wrong?"

Rui looked at her and smiled. He did not want her to feel sad on such an exciting day. But then not telling her would have also been not good as when she finds out she wouldn't be happy that her family hid the truth from her.

"Anyone?" Misao said.

Seo-Yun went to her and put her hands on her daughter's shoulder, "Misao, Ibuki..."

"What happened to Ibuki?" Misao got up in a jerk, anxious as to what could have happened.

Rui completed the sentence, "Ibuki's mom passed away this morning."

Misao was left utterly in shock. She was speechless. Rui explained to her what had happened. Mrs Cho had fallen extremely sick during the night, and Maki called Rui for help. Rui and Heechul went with the ambulance, and Mrs Cho was admitted overnight. Her condition was really bad, and the doctors tried all night to save her, but eventually, they failed. Somewhere four in the morning, she took her last breath. Along with Rui and Heechul, Seo-Yun and Maki went to her funeral. She was laid down to rest in peace at six in the morning.

Misao cried as her mother consoled her. More than anything, Misao felt bad for Ibuki. What would happen to him once he would find this upon his return? But the bigger question was whether he would ever return. What would happen to Maki?

Misao silently had her breakfast and prepared to leave for the airport. Rui would accompany her there. Before leaving, Misao asked where Maki was, and Rui said that she had been sent to her grandparents' house to stay. Misao sighed and then went to sit in the car. Rui drove her to the airport, and there Uno and his mother were already waiting for her. She gave her last hug to her brother, and he kissed her on the forehead, "Remember, you have a lot to achieve yet. Don't let anything make you fall."

Misao smiled and joined Uno at the security gate, waving back at her brother, tears filling her eyes. Finally, Rui went back to his car and drove back home. Misao and Uno went in for security and boarding. Yun-Ji was waiting for them inside. She hugged Misao as a greeting.

After the security check and boarding were done, they waited nearby to board the plane. Misao remained silent. Uno was looking at her and asked, "Are you missing home?"

Misao did not respond. Uno put his hand on hers and asked the same thing again.

Misao replied, "Of course, but that is not why I am sad. I-----miss Ibuki."

Uno hugged her and said, "It is okay. You will be fine once you reach Germany."

For Misao, the one hour of waiting for the plane felt like a day. She was feeling nervy. She wanted to leave as soon as possible because the longer she stayed there, the more her desire to run back home would overcome her. Finally, her wait was over, and she boarded the plane. She left the airport at eleven sharp in the morning and reached Germany at one am as per South Korean time, that is, five in the evening in Germany.