Chapter 32: The Memories

"I feel so free. I feel winged and able to fly. I feel at ease. I feel valued and loved. I feel my soul."

Two Years Later-

What made Ibuki stand out from his counterparts at the rehabilitation centre was the fact that he recovered faster than any of them. In no less than two years, Ibuki had recovered from the years of trauma, from his father's death to the torment at the facility. He would spend his time sketching and reading. Other times, he would do dance sessions at the centre, and sometimes he would call Misao. On weekends, Rui would take him out for lunch or dinner. So, with ease, his two years at the centre went like a breeze.

It was winter when he was to be discharged. It was snowing heavily that day. Ibuki packed the stuff he had brought with him and prepared to leave. He looked outside the window. It was dark and gloomy, yet it seemed beautiful to him. He took his stuff and left the room. He was led out of the centre after he completed all the formalities.

Draped in heavy think clothing, Ibuki stepped out of the centre with a smile on his face. The snowflakes slowly fell from the sky, gathering on the surface and forming a thick white layer. Ibuki held his hand out to feel the snow. He could not recall the last time he had felt and enjoyed snow as today. As he walked away from the rehabilitation centre, feeling the snow, he suddenly felt someone hug him from behind.

"Annyeong!" he heard the voice. He instantly recognised it and smiled, "Misao!"

Standing behind him was Misao. Her hair was tied, and a muffler draped around her neck. She wore a white overcoat with a long black sweater with black jeans. She smiled at Ibuki.

"How are you?" she asked.

"I am good. I am good. And you?" Ibuki replied.

"Um, good too. Let's go."

The two walked along the street as Misao talked about her time in college. She had befriended many people, as was expected of her naturally friendly character. She had become way better in German than she had before she had gone to Germany. Ibuki could feel how much Misao had changed overall, but her core values never changed. She was still optimistic and cheerful.

Ibuki, too, shared his time through the two years. He, too, had made many good friends. Friends he could trust. He had remained in contact with Miyon, O-Jin and Jo-Hyun. Sungmin had completed the requirements for taking in Maki and Ibuki. So, while Ibuki was in rehabilitation, Maki stayed with Sungmin and changed her school. Maki was in high school now.

Finally, the two paused their conversation and entered Rui's favourite small diner. At this point, Ibuki realised that he hadn't even bothered to remember the name of the place. Yet he could find it because its identity was in the food it cooked, not the name. Its name was simple: Ma-eum Diner.

Ibuki and Misao sat down and placed their order.

"You know, Chang-shi and Ms Yun-Ji were arrested and finally sent to jail. The trial happened somewhere last summer, and they were acquitted with a lot of charges, from misleading the police to inhumane torture of the young," Misao sipped a glass of water.

"Well, I don't care. They will receive their due punishment, and I am sure of that."

Misao smiled.

"Remember, this is the place where you, for the first time, told me that you liked me?" Misao said.

Ibuki nodded. He did not forget the day when he brought her to this place and expressed his feelings. He may not have gotten the answer back then, but he did now, and that is all that mattered to him.

"The first time I met you, I never knew how special you would turn out to be for me," Ibuki said.

Meeting someone for the first time is a weird experience, especially when they save your life. You are indebted to them and never know when you will meet them again. The fact that person then becomes the one for you makes the moment of the first meeting even more special.

"This wristlet you gave me, I still wear it," Misao said.

Gifts of love are the most extraordinary thing. It reminds you of the person and the love they hold for you. Misao would have never thought that the wristlet Ibuki would give her would become so special to her, reminding her of the fact that she loved him and so did he.

"I never told you, but that day in your school festival for the play, you looked gorgeous in the dress," Ibuki held Misao's hand, and she smiled.

"Well, I guess you did a great job making that dress."

"Thank you."

Even looking back at the time before Ibuki was taken to the facility, Ibuki realised how much he was loved. His demons had blinded him. He trusted someone who did not care for him more than he trusted the ones that did. He thought that some chemical would release him from his demons, but they made it worse for him. No one but only he could release himself from the shackles of his trauma. All he needed to do was to believe the fact that he wasn't alone or less valued. He had to believe that there were people who loved him. Now that he did believe, he felt better.

"Ibuki, do you remember the first time I kissed you? At Youra's birthday party?" Misao sipped the hot soup.

"Yes, yes, I do. Also, the sleepless night that followed after for you," Ibuki giggled.

"Ibuki, no, you are so mean," Misao pouted as Ibuki laughed.

They sat there for hours, talking about all the memories they shared. Ibuki's first job and the disaster that followed. Misao praised Ibuki's skills at fixing the dress, to which he admitted to seeking help from Chang. Then, they recalled the dreaded yet fun time on the island—the school festival, Rui and Lisa's marriage problem, and Youra and Joon-Woo's first date.

"At the lunch that day with Uno. I am really sorry for ruining it."

That day, while having lunch, Uno asked Ibuki how he had met Misao. Misao had chimed in to answer. Uno responded by saying that Misao should stop helping strangers unnecessarily. While he had not meant it to Ibuki, he had felt hurt and responded by saying that helping was what made Misao special and that Uno would never understand it. He had added, saying Uno was jealous. Misao had to confront Ibuki about his response, which unsettled Ibuki, and he left the lunch then and there. Then he stopped talking to Misao after that. He felt guilty for what he had done. It was Ibuki who had felt jealous of Uno but could not express his feelings.

"It's okay. It's an old thing. Forget it and move on!" Misao smiled.

Ibuki giggled.

After they had paid, they left the diner and headed to Ibuki's new home. On the way, they stopped by a lakeside. It had stopped snowing, but the weather was cold, and the sky was clear.

"I want to go to Japan. For fashion designing study. I don't know if the offer still stands, but I want to go there," Ibuki said.

"Don't worry. Mr Sungmin can pay for your study now, and you can go there. It would be great for you. I would love to see you in a fashion magazine soon," Misao slightly bumped Ibuki on his shoulder. Ibuki smiled. He leaned his head onto Misao's and said, "Thank You, Misao. For everything you have done for me. Everything. I owe my life."