Chapter 14: Heuksando Summer

"Summer dawned on me that day very unexpectedly. It had with it a coolness of some sort. I remember my father holding an ice cream at me that melted in my hand as I tried to grasp it. Now that is how right now I am holding my reality and my life."

Before the summer holidays arrived more merrily than ever, weeks passed like a thought of the midnight. In those weeks, Misao worked harder than ever on her courses, for she had a backlog of assignments that had to be done. Youra and Joon-Woo, too, were busy doing their studies. Yet amidst all the chaos of screaming books and written notes, Youra kept asking Misao about the lunch she had with Ibuki and Uno. Still, for some unknown reason, Misao kept refusing to say anything about it.

After that eventful lunch, Ibuki had remained away from Misao and was looking for a job. His luck had seemingly turned against him as he failed to get any meagre wager. Eun Yun had done her best to find him a job but kept failing. So, finally, after seeing that nothing else could be done, Eun Yun gave Ibuki a proposal to work at her family's house.

"My mom could get some help, and we will pay you enough," she said.

Ibuki agreed with no other option and began working with Eun Yun's family. She had a father, a mother, a younger sister and an older sister in her house. Her older brother was married and living in Busan. Her house, to Ibuki's surprise, was huge. And contrary to what Ibuki thought, Eun Yun was far better off than he was. She lived on the same street as Misao, a few houses away from hers. Since he began working, Ibuki would pass by Misao's house and pause but then move on.

One fine day, not very fine by weather, as Ibuki was cleaning the porch of Eun Yun's house, she approached him and said, "Ibuki, so my family and I are planning to go somewhere for summer. Would you like to join?"

Ibuki was surprised by the proposal. He remained silent for a minute and replied, "I don't know. I will have to ask my mother."

"Sure, go ahead," Eun Yun responded merrily.

"Where are you going, by the way?" asked Ibuki.

"Heuksando!"

Ibuki departed late at night that day. The street was silent, but some houses still had lights on. He looked at the lights coming from the houses. They were probably students studying late at night for exams, he thought. As he walked, he came by Misao's house. All the rooms were dark. Everyone had gone to sleep.

As he was about to turn from there, Ibuki heard someone humming. It was a soft song that he knew. He recalled humming it to Misao when she was sad. He knew it was her. She hadn't gone to sleep. She was in the yard of her house, having a late-night walk. Ibuki placed his ear slowly on the house gate, which had the night's coldness. He held his breath and heard it more passionately. Misao was still humming the tune. Then it stopped. Ibuki retreated from the gate and was about to leave when it opened.

"Ibuki?" Misao looked in awe at him as she had not expected him to be there so late at night.

"Hi. I actually worked at a house nearby and left only moments ago. I just passed by here," Ibuki replied.

"Oh. Ok." Misao was about to close the gate again when she stopped and said, "Um, Youra, Joon-Woo and I are going somewhere with Uno and his family for the summer. Do you want to join?"

Ibuki replied, "Cannot. I am already going with someone else. See you, I will leave."

Ibuki left quickly, and Misao closed the gate. Early morning the next day, the two met again as Ibuki was heading to work and Misao was leaving for school. The two exchanged a silent greeting and passed by each other without speaking at all.

In his response to Eun Yun, Ibuki agreed to accompany her and her family on the summer trip. Eun Yun's father, out of a gesture of affection, gave Ibuki extra money to buy himself new clothes. Ibuki happily took it and bought himself a set of new dresses for the trip. With any money left, he bought one dress each for his mother and sister.