16. The Betrayal

~Third Person's POV

As the steam started to rise from the topmost layer of the froth of his cappuccino, he stared at the blank horizon which was slowly being covered in the hues of gold and pink, depicting the sunrise.

"Up so early?"

Came a feminine, much younger voice from behind.

"Never slept in the first place!"

He replied while hiding pain behind that beautiful smile.

"Wait what? Really? You didn't sleep the whole night?"

"Umm...nope. Tried hard....failed terribly!"

He took a sip from his coffee and winked at the girl standing beside him.

"Would you like to share the reason behind this stupidity? Wait let me guess. You are in love!!!"

She chirped with excitement.

"Pretty much!"

"With whom?"

Asked the 12 year old, desparate little girl.

"With a girl who's not mature enough to digest the fact that a 16 year old has fallen in love with her. She's stupid, she's silly! She might faint right now if I tell her that I have madly and deeply fallen in love with her!"

His face was emotionless, he spoke like a robot. Stern expressions dancing in his face like a rhythm.

"I don't think so.... What if she is more than happy to learn that?"

"Her innocent brain will not accept the reality!"

He passed another excuse.

"Then, when will you let her know?"

"Maybe, after ten or twelve years!"

"Oh my ALLAH.....! You'll wait for ten to twelve years? You won't even remember her after all these years!"

She giggled while mocking the poor boys emotions.

"I will remember her, but after all these years, it's probably that she will forget me! You will forget me!..............My dear Vaneeza!"

There was a thin film of moisture in those handsome eyes which bore into the little girls' orbs as if they wanted to narrate an untold story which was only meant for her.

"Oh don't you worry Umar. I'll never forget you. Even if you come back after thirty three years!"

She chuckled away the serious environment created between the two souls and continued on munching her chocolate while he stared at the red colored bangles in her milky white wrist, which he had gifted her last night.

"I'll miss you in Belfast, Vaneeza!"

"To be honest Umar, I'll miss you more. I don't even know how to get along with the other cousins. They are so boring . Specially Shehryar. He always takes my things away and bullies me. It's you who had always protected me from him. Who will protect me now from these idiot cousins now? You are my best cousin and best friend. I don't know how will I spend all these years without you. How will I spend all the Eid festivals and Ramadan at granny's place here without you? They won't be fun anymore."

"We will skype each other daily okay?"

"Of course we will."

She smiled as she stared at the horizon which was now fully painted turquoise.