Clarifying Conversations

Maries POV:

A few days of crying in bed have passed and I somehow managed to get back to a daily life. I'm only doing what's necessary and I am really glad, that I don't have to work but at least I get out of bed in the morning. Laura has been here once, to tell my mum what had happened. I'm really glad she told her, and that mum didn't ask me. Laura obviously didn't say who I met in London, but that I met someone and that it didn't end well.

It is Sunday by now and I'm sitting in my room, playing some video games and actually forgetting about Leah for a few hours, when I hear the doorbell ring. My mother beats me to it, so I just see who it is from the staircase. Laura.

"Hi.", I express, walk downstairs and give her a short hug. "What are you doing here?"

"You look better.", she smiles. "I thought we could go out tonight, just have a drink or two in a bar.", she reveals.

"Since when do you suggest drinking?", I ask surprised.

"A drink can also be a coke or something. I just want us to go out, so get dressed.", she hurries.

I sigh and roll my eyes but walk back upstairs and open my wardrobe. I decide on nothing too fancy, simple black shirt, jeans and Nikes.

"I guess you'll drive.", I say as I walk back downstairs. Laura just shows me her car key as an answer.

I sit down on the passenger's seat and Laura starts driving. The drive to our favourite bar is about 20 minutes long. It's not the nearest bar, but we connect a lot of memories – good or bad – with that place.

"How are you feeling?", Laura questions.

"I still listen to my heartbreak playlist on repeat.", I simply reply. The amount of Lewis Capaldi and Taylor Swift I have listened to since we are back in Germany is unbelievable.

"You should try something. I'm sure you weren't just a good time to her.", she suggests, and my stomach starts to rebel at the thought of it. I feel my eyes water, so I quickly switch the topic.

"Can we talk about something else?", I request. "I can't think about it without crying.", I further explain.

"Sure, let us try to have some fun tonight.", I nod in agreement.

We talk about basic stuff for the rest of the drive, Laura has to work again in a few days, while I still have a week off. Laura pulls into the parking lot, and we walk into the bar. It's not that crowded yet, so we walk over and take a seat in the corner. I want to have a bit of privacy, so I don't feel the need to be the life of the party. Laura orders us our drink of choice and we begin to chat a bit. After a while, Tony walks in. He is a friend of us we've known since school. Tony keeps us company and we recount to him how our London trip has been. I tell him about Leah. For the first time, I don't feel like crying when speaking about her. I'm still sad, don't get me wrong but I feel freed when I talk to someone other than Laura. We have a few more drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic but not too much and the bar begins to fill up.

I've just walked over to the bar to order a few more sodas when a familiar face walks in. And it's not someone I want to see now. Charlotte.

She walks over to me as soon as she sees me. I try to walk back to our table very quickly, but I fail. She approaches me.

"Hey, nice to see you.", she says with a smile.

"Hey, you too.", I answer awkwardly. I pray that Laura or Tony come over to rescue me.

"Did you get my messages?", she asks straightforwardly. That was one thing I always loved about her.