Meeting the family

Leah and I sleep in a bit the next morning.

Well, we mostly don't sleep but cuddle, but we stay in bed pretty long.

"We should get ready.", she says and kisses the top of my head before climbing out of bed.

"I want to stay here with yoooouuuu.", I protest and pull her back on her arm.

"Me too, but mum and grandma are waiting.", she replies and gives me a short kiss.

"I know", I expression and get up. "And I'm looking forward to meet them.", I add.

I must be honest; I am a bit nervous about meeting them. Now I know how Leah must have felt like a few weeks ago.

"We are just going to a café, right?", I ask when I come out of the shower.

"Yes, just dress casually.", Leah answers while looking through her wardrobe.

"Okay.", I say and start to look through my clothes. I decide on a white shirt and black jeans but when I look in the mirror, I feel like something is missing.

"What's wrong?", Leah asks when she sees the unhappy look on my face.

"I don't know. Something is missing.", I express and gesture down my body.

"Can I borrow your cardigan?", I ask after a minute.

"You don't have to ask.", Leah chuckles. "Which one?"

"The beige one?", I ask.

"Sure.", she answers, opens her wardrobe and hands me the cardigan.

„Thank you. ", I say and put it on. „How do I look? "

„Fantastic. ", she smiles at me before pulling me into a passionate kiss. „Ready to go? ", she whispers as she lets go.

I nod as approval, and we leave the flat.

We get in the lift and Leah pushes the button for the underground car park.

„The café is a fair bit out of London, so we'll drive. ", she explains.

„Okay ", I just reply and start tapping my foot which is not unnoticed by Leah.

„Don't tell me you're nervous. ", she chuckles but I stay serious.

„Seriously? After you told me I should not worry when I met your family? ", she asks and playfully boxes my arm.

„That was different. I knew they would like you. ", I reply as we get into the car.

As an answer, Leah takes my hand in hers, looks me in the eyes and kisses me before saying „They will like you. I am certain. ", which makes me smile again.

„Are we good to go? ", she says against my lips, and I nod.

During the whole drive there isn't one minute where we don't talk. Leah absolutely manages to calm me down and I love it. I love every bit about this woman, and I realise it more and more.

We drive for about thirty minutes before Leah parks the car next to a small café. We left London and are in a little town nearby.

„Welcome to my family's girls only café. ", she says as we exit the car.

„I'm honoured. ", I expression and hold the door open for her.

„Thank you. ", she replies, walks past me, takes my hand and guides me through the room until we reach a table for four in the back of the café, where we sit down.

„We are a bit early. ", Leah tells as she checks her wristwatch.

„No problem for me. ", I chuckle. I have to say the nerves kick in again now, which is quickly noticed by Leah. Luckily, she does her best in distracting me.

„What are the plans for tomorrow? ", I ask after a while.

„If it was up to me, I would have spent the whole day alone with you. ", Leah expresses. „But Katie wanted to go to a club, said something like ‚You will only turn 26 once '", she chuckles.

„Well, she is right. ", I say and see Leah raising her right hand and waving at someone, causing me to turn around.

I spot two women coming towards us. One is definitely Leah's mother, there is no doubt. I assume the other one is her grandma.

Leah stands up and pulls both of them into a hug.

„It is lovely to see you. ", she expresses as she lets go. „Mum, grandma, this is my girlfriend, Marie. ", she points at me.

„Hello, it is really nice to meet you. ", I say as I stand up and offer them a hand to shake.

„Don't be silly, love. ", Leahs mum declares and pulls me into a hug, making me relieved. „I am Amanda. ", she says while she loosens it again.

„And I'm Bernie, the grandma. ", Leahs grandmother speaks and hugs me as well before the four of us sit down.

We order coffee and something to eat while having a bit of Smalltalk. I am still slightly nervous, but I feel it fading away.

"So, Marie.", Amanda says and takes a sip of her coffee. "Leah wouldn't stop talking about you of course.", she chuckles, and I can see Leah blushing behind her cup.

"Oh, really?", I joke, and Leah gets even more red.

"Mum!", she growls which makes everyone else laugh.

"What? I am just trying to have a conversation with the most amazing woman my daughter has ever met, to use your words.", Amanda says and Leah slides down into her chair.

"She really said that?", I ask laughing.

"That is just the tip of the iceberg.", Bernie adds and Leah growls even more.

"So, Amanda, what were you going to say in the first place?", I question and take a sip.

"I just wanted to let you know that I am really happy to finally meet you and that apparently, everything Leah said is true.", she compliments me and now I have to blush.

That sentence somehow was the icebreaker, and we talk for a good amount of time like we've known each other for years. Bernie and Amanda made me feel like I have been a part of the family for ever.

When we get outside it is already dark and it has begun to rain. We quickly say our goodbye and get into the car.

"They are really nice.", I expression to Leah once we've closed the doors.

"Of course, they are, they are related to me.", she answers, and I jokingly box her in the arm. "Ow!"

"Oh, sorry my girlfriend just got really arrogant.", I say and kiss her lips.

"You have to get used to that at times.", she breathes against my lips, pulls back and starts the engine to drive us home.

"So, what else will we do tonight?", she asks while pulling out the car park.

"It is your birthday tomorrow, so you tell me."

"What if we cook something together and watch a sitcom? I would prefer something relaxing.", she suggests.

"Sounds great.", I say. "I also have an idea what we will do tomorrow morning.", I reveal and tease her a bit with the sight of a surprise.

"Stop implying you have a surprise for me.", she complains. "We have to go to the shops before we get home.", Leah reveals.

"Okay."