Birthday Preparations

"You don't know that.", I answer immediately, not sure if I calm her or myself down.

"It popped the same way it was described.", she admits sadly. "But you still don't know it without having a scan first. Positive thinking.", I try to cheer her up.

She sighs. "Yeah, you're probably right. They will do the scan tomorrow. I call you after.", Leah says and pauses for a moment. "Mum will drive me back to London now since I can't take the stairs to the bus.", she chuckles.

"Okay, call me when you are home.", I say in a soft voice. "I will. I love you."

"I love you too.", I express before we hang up.

This cannot be true. It can't be her ACL.

The next few hours, I try to distract me as best as possible with everything. I clean up nearly the entire kitchen.

It's already late at night when my phone vibrates. A message from Leah.

'I got home. Mum is with me but I'm tired. I will call you tomorrow, okay?', it says.

'Sure, get some rest <3', I text back and put my phone away before I prepare myself for bed. I'm so tired, I hit the pillow and immediately fall asleep.

My phones wakes me up the next morning. I see Leah's photo and answer the call. "Good morning baby", I say sleepy.

"Did I wake you up?", she asks. "No, not at all.", I don't believe myself.

"Sorry, I thought you were awake.", Leah apologises. "I just came back from my scan."

Suddenly, I am wide awake. "And?", I ask and sit up in bed. "And I was right.", she sights.

"Oh.", I say. "I'm sorry Leah."

"It's not your fault.", she assures me. "Is there anything I can do for you?", I want to help.

"Not really, Lia will move in with me for a few weeks if that's okay. Helping me with stuff.", she replies and I'm glad she has a friend like Lia. Although it should be me who helps her.

"I'm sorry I can't be in London.", I apologise. "Don't be, you have to work, and we will see each other in less than a month."

"I'm glad Lia stays with you.", I eventually say. "When will you have surgery?", I then ask.

"Next week, followed by treatment by our physiotherapist. Rehabilitation program at arsenal.", she explains. "That's good. They will give you the best medical treatment."

"Just sucks. I can't play football for at least 9 months.", she sobs. "I know, but you will come back stronger than ever.", I try to reassure her.

"You don't understand.", she says calmly. "I will miss the world cup."

I take a deep breath. I didn't think about that.

"I know. I'm sorry.", I utter, and I mean it. There is nothing I can say to make her feel better about the situation. I can just be there for her. "I wish I could say something to cheer you up. I can only tell you, that you will get through this, and I will be there for every step if you need me. And when you make your comeback, I will come to every home game. I promise."

"Thank you.", she simply says but it's enough. "I will limb into the lift now.", she laughs.

"Were you alone at the scan?", I ask confused. "No, I can't drive.", Leah chuckles. "Mum drove me. She is in my flat since I wanted to call you."

"I understand, well, call me if I can do anything. Even if it's just telling you a dumb joke.", I say.

"I will. I love you.", she says. "I love you too.", I answer before hanging up.

A week before my birthday I get a phone call from Leah. Just voice. Which is unusual, normally we always facetime.

"Is everything okay?", I ask as I answer. "Yeah, don't worry baby. It's just...", she sighs. "I just had physiotherapy and got my schedule for next week. I said I needed time off on Wednesday, but they scheduled it for Wednesday morning and Thursday afternoon. I'm sorry."

I know what it means instantly. She can't come to Germany for my birthday. "Oh.", I just say and know how disappointed I must sound.

"I'm really sorry.", Leah says again. "Don't be. You did everything you could. Guess I will have to keep some cake in the fridge for you then."

We talk for a bit more, which mostly contains of apologies from Leah until we hang up. I'm sad she won't be here. She was who I was most excited for.

I don't have time to put my phone away when Laura calls me.

"Hey Lau.", I say in a voice that fits my mood. Low.

"What's wrong?", she asks concerned.

"Leah just called. She won't be there for my birthday. Physio.", I explain. "About that.", Laura begins. "You know, Tony and I redid his grandparents garden, right? It's ours now."

"You said that, yeah."

"Well, we thought we could have a proper BBQ-Party for your birthday. With a lot of people. Only if you want to, of course.", she suggests. I don't want to but it's better than sitting alone at home. "Yeah, sure."

"Perfect, we will pick you up, so you can celebrate your birthday without worrying about your ability to drive."

"Okay, text me the details.", I say before we hang up.

My birthday arrives faster than expected. Leah didn't call in the morning. She is probably busy. Mum and Ben baked a cake, which they, more or less, succeeded with. It's the gesture that counts.

I have only one wish while blowing out the candles. Leah. Here.

We have brunch together and I unpack my presents. They just got me some new shoes I asked for, since my Nikes. We don't gift us expensive stuff, but they demanded, so I thought I ask for them.

After brunch there is not much time for me to get ready. I take a shower, apply some light makeup and pick an outfit. It just contains of a jeans, my new trainers, a band t-shirt and some jewellery. I also bring my jacket, just in case. Still no call or text from Leah.

I am just finished when Laura rings the bell.

"Happy Birthday.", she almost screams at me and Tony joins.

"Thanks.", I chuckle and hug them both.

"You ready?", Tony asks. I grab my jacket. "Ready.", I say and tell mum and Ben that I will leave now.

"Your present is in the garden. Too big to bring here.", Laura explains as I fasten my seatbelt. "Interesting.", I saw without really taking notice.

"What's wrong?", Tony asks. "Leah didn't call yet.", I sigh.

"I'm sure she will soon.", both say coordinated. "Yeah, you're probably right.", I say, and we leave the driveway.

"So, about my present?", I ask after a few minutes. "Is it a trampoline?"

"No.", Tony answer and Laura sighs. "Not the guessing again. I swear, after 15 years of friendship I'm through with it."

"After 15 years of friendship, I'm through with it.", I mock her and keep guessing. "Is it a dinosaur?"

"Trust me, it's better than a dinosaur.", they assure me.