Prologue

The dark trees loom over Ambereyes as she walks through the Forest of Lost Souls. This isn't the first time she's ventured into the Forest and she's sure this won't be the last. She sees a decaying bird fly past, the only sign of life in this dead place. The air is heavy, filling her lungs, though she doesn't feel it affect her like it used to.

Ambereyes quickly finds the border between SpiritClan and the Forest. The starry landscape beyond hurts her eyes, but this means she's where she wants to be.

"Well looky here," a voice purrs.

"Hello Yellowstrike," Ambereyes sighs.

A brown she-cat with eerie yellow eyes slips out of the shadows, staring at Ambereyes. Blood mats her fur and drips onto the grass below. Yellowstrike, a former BirchClan cat who had killed many cats in her time, is a familiar sight to Ambereyes as the old medicine cat often passed through Yellowstrike's gang's territory to see her old friend.

"It's nice seeing you out and about, beautiful," Yellowstrike purrs. "I haven't seen you in, hm, a couple moons? Looks like it took you longer to break out this time."

"I was focusing on the cat I needed to find in the living world, something you wouldn't know much about, since Forest cats can't touch the living," Ambereyes replies.

"Feeling feisty today, aren't we Amber?" Yellowstrike slides up beside Ambereyes, the leaking blood getting on Ambereyes's brown and white fur.

"Listen, I just want to speak to Featherspeck," Ambereyes growls. "Is he with Opalstrike today or not?"

"Aw, you're no fun today," Yellowstrike whines. "Come on, I'll show you to Opalstrike's den and you decide for yourself."

Ambereyes follows the brown she-cat into the dead trees, keeping her eyes out for the cats who inhabit these lands. Yellowstrike walks at a leisurely pace, which irritates Ambereyes, but she keeps her mouth shut knowing she needs to find Featherspeck if she wants to get in contact with Jadepaw again. Finally, they reach a dark mirror of the WillowClan camp. Ambereyes slips past the guard, a black and white tom named Badgerclaw, outside of the main den and enters, planting her paws and staring the tom inside down.

"Of course you're back," Opalstrike sighs. His black and white fur is matted from his years in the Forest, however there isn't much of it that isn't covered in blood. His organs are spilling out of his belly and one side of his mouth reveals his skull underneath. Blood streaming into his eyes only hints at the fact that a fall once killed this cat. Opalstrike's amber eyes meet Ambereyes's own amber eyes evenly.

"Where is Featherspeck?" Ambereyes demands.

"He's in his little cave, as per usual," Opalstrike scoffs, flicking his tail dismissively. "Though I don't see how that crazy tom will help you get back into my brother's good-books."

"That's not why I need him," Ambereyes replies, turning her back and exiting the den.

She pushes past all the cats who try to stop her and enters the forest again, this time alone. She soon finds the cave Opalstrike mentioned, the one occupied by Ambereyes's old friend, Featherspeck. Featherspeck gives Ambereyes a wide grin as she enters.

"Hello, old friend," he meows cheerfully. "I suppose you need me again?"

"Can you give me something that will make me immune to the founder's power, if even for a little bit?" Ambereyes asks.

Featherspeck's eyes cloud thoughtfully. "I suppose I could. My concoctions are generally meant to defy them anyways. Let me see what I can whip up."