Chapter 9

The conversation with Lilytail kept replaying in her mind as Jadepaw worked the next few days. Rocktooth showed her many things during these days, but Jadepaw has barely been able to focus. The founders don't seem to be very fair like she assumed they were when she first started training and that makes Jadepaw anxious.

As Jadepaw puts more herbs on Featherwing's wound, still thinking about her conversation with Lilytail, an ear-splitting yowl breaks the silent air.

"Dog!"

Jadepaw jerks her head up, feeling dread seep into her head and replace her anxious thoughts. Featherwing shifts, nervousness and excitement in his eyes.

"Dog?" Whitestar steps out of her den, her pretty blue eyes wide with fear. "Darkstep! Gather some cats to lead it away!"

Darkstep nods and dashes away, calling for Shadefeather, Coralsong and Larkwing to follow him. The cats in camp all start climbing the dip and peer out as the barking grows louder. Jadepaw shifts her weight nervously, but feels a pelt brush hers.

"Don't worry, Jadepaw," Rocktooth murmurs. "Darkstep is experienced with dogs. He used to live with some when he was a kittypet. He'll lead it away." Then she passes out of the den and meows something to Whitestar, who nods. The two she-cats exit the camp, leaving everyone behind.

Not too much later, they return with four bleeding cats. Featherwing gets to his paws with a wince and heads into the den.

"I'll get out of the way while you and Rocktooth work," he meows, settling down in his nest.

The patrol stumbles into the den and collapses into the nests. Rocktooth shoos Whitestar away and starts pulling herbs out of the herb store, muttering angrily about stupid warriors depleting her supplies before leafbare. Jadepaw weaves between the nests, making observations of all the wounds. Silverstripe seems to be the least injured as she is busily cleaning Violetstorm's wound, which doesn't look too bad either. Stoneheart is panting, but it doesn't seem to be from blood loss and just seems exhilarated. Blueclaw, on the other paw, looks barely conscious and is bleeding profusely. Jadepaw sits beside the blue-grey warrior and starts putting pressure on the wound in her belly to staunch the bleeding.

"Rocktooth, Blueclaw is losing blood fast!" Jadepaw meows to her mentor, who is still gathering herbs. "And she doesn't look too good either!"

"I'm... I'm alright, Jadepaw," Blueclaw pants, wincing in pain but still giving her trademark smile. "It's just a... just a scratch. I'll live."

"Where have I heard that before?" Jadepaw mutters, recognizing the same phrase used by Blueclaw's former mentor who was sitting just across the den from the bleeding she-cat.

"Here, get started on Blueclaw," Rocktooth drops the herbs at Jadepaw's paws. "I'm going to go ask Darktail to borrow some herbs. Can you handle this on your own?"

"I... I think so," Jadepaw mumbles. Rocktooth leaves the den and Jadepaw glances at Stoneheart. "Stoneheart, can you put pressure on Blueclaw's belly for me so I can start putting herbs together?"

Stoneheart seems to have calmed and nods. She gets up and stands beside Jadepaw. She places her paws in a similar place to Jadepaw's and meows something to her Clanmate, which makes the injured warrior chuckle weakly.