Chapter 8

"Good morning, Jadepaw," Lilytail's familiar voice murmurs in Jadepaw's ear.

"Lilytail?" Jadepaw questions, stretching out and yawning. It was early morning and no cat was awake yet. The dawn patrol had only just left and Rocktooth hadn't left her nest yet. Even Featherwing, who was usually up around this time, was still sleeping in his nest. "What are you doing here?"

"Just coming to see how my favorite living cat is doing," Lilytail purrs.

Jadepaw blinks the sleep out of her eyes and then quickly remembers what she wanted to talk to Lilytail about at the last halfmoon meeting. "Actually, Lilytail, can I ask you about Ambereyes? How come the founders are keeping her in the Forest?"

Lilytail frowns, though obviously surprised that Jadepaw had asked her that. "I don't know, hon. I may be good friends with Flamestar, but he can't tell me anything when it comes to founder stuff..."

"Oh," Jadepaw frowns and curls her tail over her paws.

"There's actually something I can tell you, though," Lilytail meows. "There's been some problems with SpiritClan lately."

"Problems? What kind of problems?" Jadepaw asks.

"When it comes to newly deceased, as you've seen quite a few recently, unfortunately, they aren't appearing in SpiritClan like they're supposed to."

"Like how Ashstone and Coalpaw were left outside of their bodies when they died?" Jadepaw questions.

Lilytail nods. "We've had to have SpiritClan cats come down and grab them from the living world. That isn't supposed to happen. I'm not sure why this is happening, but the founders have been preaching that Ambereyes and her friends in the Forest of Lost Souls are behind it. I doubt it, she was always a sweet cat when I met her in SpiritClan, but it's what they're saying."

Jadepaw shifts her weight and frowns. This doesn't seem right. How could a dead cat with no special powers like the founders cause the newly deceased to not be able to appear in SpiritClan immediately?

"I hope you living cats can figure this out, because we aren't getting closer to a solution," Lilytail sighs. Then her eyes get wide. "They're calling me back. I'm going to have to leave you now, but remember what I said!"

And with a flash of light, Lilytail is gone.