Chapter 18

The full moon illuminates the valley as WillowClan arrives. BirchClan and RowanClan are already there, so there is plenty of chatter. Jadepaw sticks close to Rocktooth tonight, not feeling up to socializing with her peers. Though she does see a small cat accompanying Blackpaw and she wonders if that is Tallstar's son. Rocktooth pauses on her walk over to the Star Rock to start chatting with a warrior from RowanClan, the scarred silver she-cat who had escorted Jadepaw to the RowanClan camp the day she helped Goldenlight, and two other warriors from BirchClan that Jadepaw can only assume are the former RowanClan warriors Misteye and Crowfoot that Stormpaw had spoken about being his parents. Jadepaw sits patiently at her mentor's side, observing the cats around her.

"Ah, looks like Lakestar is anxious to start, I'd better get going," Rocktooth meows as the discussion of leafbare preparations ends. "Perhaps we can speak more if I need any help from your medicine cats."

Jadepaw follows Rocktooth through the crowd of cats and sits down beside the Star Rock and gazes up at Lakestar. The leader is standing, although as usual he doesn't look it.

"All cats gather to hear what we have to say!" Lakestar calls. The valley falls silent and the under-sized leader begins. "BirchClan has had a great moon! We have one new warrior, Cinderspot. He has trained well under Wrenflight and looks to be a great warrior, despite his poor eyesight and hearing. We also had an incredible surprise! Firestorm and Onion are going to be having kits, and Coalwing has decided to carry them! While she has shown no interest in this sort of thing, the Clan is pleasantly surprised and excited for new kits in the Clan!"

"Cinderspot!"

"Firestorm!"

"Onion!"

"Coalwing!"

As the cheers echo around Jadepaw, she sees a flash of glowing fur in the shadows. She turns and frowns. Then she looks around to see everyone preoccupied with Tallstar's news of a new apprentice. Jadepaw takes this chance to slip into the shadows and sees a blue-grey tom sitting there. He's obviously a spirit, but he looks anxious.

"Hello?" Jadepaw questions. "What are you doing here? And who are you? Are you lost on your way to your afterlife?"

The tom shakes his head. "My name is Bluesong, I was Darktail's mentor." Jadepaw's eyes widen, but she motions for him to go on. "Things are very wrong in SpiritClan, young one. I know Ambereyes has a plan to fix things, but I worry about your involvement."

"I'll be alright," Jadepaw meows. "I want to help. And if you're trying to stop me from helping, I'm gonna have you take a very stern message to the founders about where they can stick their message."

"I was not tasked by the founders to tell you this," Bluesong replies. "If things go wrong, you could be hurt in the living world. You saw it yourself when you woke up from being in the Forest. In SpiritClan, you can't be hurt, but with the amount of time you might spend in the Forest, you could be very hurt. I can't bear the thought of Rocktooth losing another apprentice, Jadepaw. And there are cats who also couldn't bear seeing you earlier than you should."

"Who?" Jadepaw questions, her ears pricking at the sound of cats cheering for Tallstar's announcement. She should be getting back before Whitestar finishes her announcement.

"Your father."

Jadepaw huffs and turns around. "Well, tell him that if he wants me to stay safe, he should've thought about helping me beforehand."

And with that, Jadepaw leaves Bluesong behind and plops beside her mentor. She will have no more to do with spirits tonight. Just her Clan and the Meeting.