Chapter 3

I sigh as I sit down in my chair at the lunch table. After Ms.Heart had finished lecturing me about my language she let me go. Just in time for lunch thank goodness. I was so hungry I could eat a horse.

"Hey, Aven!" One of the boys in my biology class yelled at me. "I hear you were called in for being a psychopath."

I ignore him and lift my water bottle to my lips. It's plastic lip felt rough but I accept it.

"Are you deaf?" The boy shouted in my face as he slams his fist down on the table in front of me.

I snort and look at him lowering my water bottle. I look into the boys steely grey eyes, "perhaps you would be more effective at scaring people if you could figure out the fact that simply making loud noises, doesn't cut it."

"You wanna tango princess?" He asks fiercely. "I hear you could get suspended if you get in another physical... altercation." He says articulating his final word extremely slowly. However it is the meaning behind it, the emphasis he puts on it, that rattles me. "How bout it? You, me, the park off of the baseball court. Six thirty. Sharp."

"Are you arranging a date or setting the time for a fight Romeo?" I ask, a small smug smile tugging at the corner of my mouth.

"You brat!" He shouts throwing a punch at my head. I move my hand to intercept the blow, but never feel the impact. I look beside me and see Alexander standing there.

"Perhaps you should pick fights with people who can take them." He says coolly. His sea foam eyes sparkling. I glare at him, finding more resentment then thankfulness. But I can't ignore how beautiful his eyes look.

"I can take him just fine." I protest, however Alexander ignores me.

"You wanna dance, fish?" The boy asks yanking his arm away from Alexander.

Alexander looks the boy in the eyes before kicking his legs out from underneath him. Alexander moves in a flash grabbing the boys wrists and pinning him against the wooden cafeteria table. The splintered table dug into the boys soft skin. "How's that for a tango Juliet?" He asks just loud enough for me to hear.

"Alexander let him go!" Ms.Heart shouted at Alexander as she ran through the twisting maze of tables of the cafeteria. Alexander let the boys arms go somehow managing to keep his face slack.

"Ms.Heart Kimberly said that he was bugging her so I wanted to help but she said I had to pin him down." Alexander lies. I sit to stunned to say anything.

"Is this true Ms.Aven?" MsHeart demands.

"No of corse not." I say immediately, outraged that he would lie like that.

Ms.Heart sighs looking at me like I was a small child. "Get back to my office Ms.Aven. I will speak with you there."

"But Ms.Heart,"

"Ms.Aven I do not wish to hear it right now." She says holding up her hand.

"But..."

"GO!" She shouts at me. I look over at Alexander who looks rather sheepish, and flip him off. I am done with him and his rude insulting comments. Come to think of it, this is the second (and last) time I will ever speak to him.

I stand and pick up my things,"ya know if you want to ruin my life, all you had todo was say so." I shout at Ms.Heart as I turn to leave the cafeteria. I walk quickly threw the maze of tables and chairs. The plaster and ceramic tile floor enhances the noise of my sneakers by about one hundred times.

"Don't let the door hit you on the way out." A boy says as I walk pass. I simply ignore him and keep going. I lock my eyes on the double French doors ahead and throw them open as dramatically as I can.

I walk down the hallway and turn to the right, stepping into the library. I walk over the spotless carpet and smile when I see our librarian Ms.Coldsfield reading the morning news paper behind her desk as she always does. "Morning," I say smiling at her.

"Afternoon Kim." She says nodding towards my left hand in which was a book. "Which one are you on now? The trylle series by Amanda Hocking? Or the Divergent series by Veronica Roth?" She asks. I always feel like Ms.Coldsfield is the only teacher in this school who hasn't gone completely clinical. That's why I like Ms.Coldsfield even though she was a little off. But like me not very many people like her. Only book worms like me appreciate her. Sadly, she's retiring this year, even though I've been I this school for only a year it feels like I know her so well it must have been a lifetime.

"Trylle," I respond.

"Good. It's a fantastic series." She smiles.

I walk over to a table made of a mat plasticy sort of substance. I pull out the heavy wooden chair and sit down I open the book to where I left off. If Ms.heart wants me in her office, she can try. But she'll have to drag me kicking and screaming.