Chapter 5

I sit in my living room with Alexander across from me. A small glass table divided the two of us, giving me space to breath in case I needed to back away, however after the events of today's afternoon, I could only hope someone who throughs a person off a bridge without second guessing it, is on my side. "So, you say there's something to explain?" I ask cheerily.

"Yes I do, and where do I begin?" Alexander says a soft reassuring smile appearing on his face. Something about his devilish features were suddenly quite appealing, no matter how strange the situation is, I seem to find time to pick out the best in almost everyone. Besides, no matter how he had rubbed off on me before... there was something quite appealing about him.

"Just give me a reason why those two were trying to kidnap me." I say relieved by the steadiness of my own voice. I look over at my front door worried my aunt Sofie might walk in.

"Why are you so worried about the door?" Alexander asks looking at me with curiosity.

"Why are you avoiding my question?" I snap. An irritation Grows as I speak. Hurry up before she gets home! She'll probably think you're my boyfriend or something like that.

"No evasion intended." He says calmly. "But I guess I'll have to start a little farther back then what you want to make sense." He sighs and smiles gently at me, "it all is a bit confusing at first but it's completely normal."

"Are you going to answer my question?" I ask as I feel my anger dissipate, replaced with slight defeat. I try to keep up my demeanour but I feel incapable.

"Alright let's start from the beginning, your a witch." He says confidently.

"Well that's rude." I say crinkling my nose.

"No not like the pointy hats and warts on the face, we're extremely misrepresented. Our hierarchy is extremely powerful and can manipulate inanimate objects without a spell they can also invade your mind, however they have to be extremely powerful, as in king, Queen, Prince, and Princess." He sighs and runs his hand through his hair ruffling it.

"So you can manipulate objects?" I ask.

"No. I'm a chaser for the elite and a guard. I only go after children who are in Human residences. Bring them home and protect them. We place you in an orphanage and wait for a parent to adopt them. We can choose the parent and we make sure the parent is fairly well off as to protect you."

"That's awful!" I say covering my mouth with my hand. I feel disgust but can't do anything about what happens before I'm born.

"As I say, It is also my job to bring them back," Alexander finished. He looks grimly at me and nods when it clicks. "I'm here to take you home."

"This is my home...isn't it?"