Chapter 10

I feel faint, and see black. The last thing I remember was Alexander telling me to stay awake as he told Stiren to call for an ambulance. I try to open my eyes, but I feel so exhausted I can't. The scent of hospital sheets stuffs its self up my nostrils and burning the inside of my lungs. I cough as though trying to get rid of the sent that tears my lungs, clawing at them. The awful sent seems to want to suffocate me.

"Kimberly!" Alexander says sounding relieved, "thank gods!"

I let out a short laugh as I force my eyelids open. Alexander stands at the foot of the hospital bed wringing his hands. Keith and Aunt Sofie sit to my right, with Stiren to my left. Stiren paces up and down the length of the room, leaving scuff marks on the floor, as he walks with his head down and his hands grasped tightly behind him. "Careful, Stiren. You might wear the floor through."

I feel a soft prick from a needle as Alexander injects me with a murky blue strum. He lifts his finger to his lips and walks away. Somehow no one notices.

Stiren looks up at me sternly, "you need to rest. You've been through enough."

I sigh and close my eyes, knowing I won't be able to open them again. I feel Keith's hand on my arm, gently reassuring me that I was in the right, while at the same time telling me I was wrong, if that makes any sense.

-

I scream and sit bolt upright. My heart pounds like a drum, hammering in my ears. I swallow and rock back and forth, barely hearing Alexander's protests from outside the room. Did he wake me up because he was coming in? I force myself not to curl up in a ball and cry from fear. I don't like the dark. I can't lie. However instead of curling up in a ball and dying, I drag myself up out of bed and slink over to the sink. As I stand at the sink I realize, I don't have any pain. And I also don't have any devices monitoring me. What's that thing called. The heartbeat thingy. You would think by now I should know. Being hooked up to it a few times, along with all its bells and whistles. I turn the tap on just as Alexander bursts thru the door, followed by a very displeased nurse. "I'm telling you, sir, she is not allowed visitors." She protests wagging her finger in Alexander's face.

"Thank you my dear lady, however I have been given a special clearance into her room." Alexander responds coolly pushing the nurses wagging finger away from his face.

"I have not been notified. And as her doctor I said no visitors. Doctors orders are what goes around here. I don't care if your her husband, boyfriend or otherwise." The plump young woman snaps.

"While I'm flattered that you think I deserve her," Alexander says castling a side glance in my direction. I realize I've left the tap on and immediately shut it off to allow him to continue. The corner of his mouth twitches into a smirk before he returns his eyes to the nurse, "however I believe that Ms.Aven is deserving of so much more then any man or woman can offer her. No matter whom so ever they are."

I feel my heart roar in my ears, but I was no longer afraid. I know I'm falling for Alexander, and hard. I just wonder if he knows.

"While that's all and fine sir, you can't push me around. Get out or go home." The woman snaps, sizing Alexander up.

I slink back to the bed and pull the blankets up over my body. I wrap it around me and feel a sudden sharp sting in my chest. I close my eyes and wait for more pain to come, but that's it. I listen to Alexander as he speaks, thanking the woman and insisting for her to leave.

"Thank you Alexander, however she has her instructions not to leave...until I come." Cheyenne's voice sings from the hall. Cheyenne's heals click across the cool tile flooring as she makes her way into the room and towards Alexander. I force my eyes open and immediately regret it. Cheyenne holds a 32caliber pistol in her hand, aimed directly at Alexander. I shake from head to toe, nerves jump around my stomach and tease my instinct to run, because I know I cant. Cheyenne's faster, she has a weapon, and most importantly, she has backup. "you can leave Bethany."

The woman dressed as a nurse nods. She strides over to the door and before she leaves calls back, "you owe me lunch on Tuesday bitch. I wasn't even supposed to be here."

Alexander looks awe struck. Like he knew her or something. The girl named Bethany. Not Cheyenne I know he knows Cheyenne. I cringe at the girls, Bethany's, language. Even though I speak in such a manner, hearing it come from the woman's lips let alone being received by Cheyenne, it just makes me sick to my stomach.

Cheyenne, momentarily distracted leaves a window of opportunity open for Alexander. With Cheyenne facing the other way Alexander swipes the gun, and tosses it to me. I catch it, immediately sitting bolt upright, aiming the gun at Cheyenne, who now looks at me. I aim the muzzle of the gun in between her eyes, but don't pull the trigger.

The other woman who had planned on leaving remains in place, with no longer any intention of the sort.

Alexander pulls out his own gun, which has a silencer on it. "Now, Cheyenne, don't tell me your stupid enough to ignore the fact that we're the only ones with weapons, which are both facing you."

"How bout you tell me?" Damien asks coming out of the shadows holding his own gun. He tosses one to both the women. Forcing us to realize, we find ourselves cornered.