Chapter 6

I sit on my front porch beside Alexander who has a glass of water in his hands. The rough course wood bites at my hands as storm clouds role in. "So," I say trying to find a conversation starter. "What else do you do? Besides creep teenage girls out?" I quickly back track my words, "I mean, you obviously don't always spend your time like this. Running around, stalking 16 year old girls." I feel the colour rush to my cheeks. "I meant to say,"

"It's alright Kimberly, I understand what you mean. And no, I don't always do this sort of work. After the switched are brought back, the chaser is in charge of getting the switched back up to speed with what has happened in the world, who they really are, what they are meant for, that sort of stuff. History, geography, our language." he smiles at the disbelief on my face. "Yes, Kimberly, we have an official language. However few people can speak it."

"Oh." I say feeling taken aback. I feel as though he took a sledge hammer and crushed my entire life under it. So nothing I know, is actually mine? I was never intended to live like this?

"Kimberly!" Keith calls from inside, "have you seen my," he stops dead in the doorway. "Who is this?" He asks. He looks just as surprised as I do. He places one hand on the doorframe to keep himself steady, "Kimberly, you know you have to tell me when you have people coming over." He looks faint, but yet, alive.

"My apologies, I should never have come unannounced." Alexander says standing. "Kimberly, I believe I have overstayed my wonderfully warm welcome, thank you for your hospitality. However, if you ever run into another snag like this afternoon," he pauses and pulls out a small folded piece of paper, "I live in the house down the way, but if you need me, call me."

I take the paper and unfold it. there is a small golden dolphin on the paper in the corner, but otherwise the paper was blank.

"If you call, I'll know where to find you." He says calmly before walking down the steps of the porch, "Have a lovely evening Kimberly."

"That is one creepy dude." Keith says still standing in the adjacent doorway. "Kimberly I never want to see him again. I don't care if I'm dying and he's the only one who can save me, I NEVER want to see you with him again." he turns and walks into the house.

I sigh, "honestly Keith, I don't think I have a choice." I look down at my hands as I slouch, I hear the soft thumping of Titanium by DJ Savana. I look out at the street and feel a sudden wave of sombreness wash over me. A small rain drop splashes on the tip of my nose, running down onto and over my lips. "But I can't disagree. He's one creepy dude." I breath. I hear the door shut behind me. Keith disappearing into the house.

I'm not sure how long I sit outside for, but by the time I realize I'm still outside, it's pouring. The rain has soaked me through to the bone, the cold plasters its self to me with the wet of the rain. I feel as though the weather reflects my mood, every stab of pain I feel causes lightning and thunder to cackle around me with immense intensity. the street lamps flicker and the shadows laugh.

The world seams to either understand me, or make fun of me. The lake in front of my house dances and the houses glare. Their empty windows appear as eyes, dark and cold. I stand and look up. the full moon gleams down, glaring at me, the face seems to grin at me, wanting me to challenge it. I sigh and shake my head. I look around watching all the places trying to scare me.

I hear the door open, "Kimberly," Keith says gently, "lets go in. I have a towel for you in the entry way."

"What? Oh yah, yah sure." I mumble a sudden grogginess sweeping over me. He pulls me to my feet and holds me steady as we walk. I sway back and forth as we walk and almost miss the doorway entirely. Keith wraps the towel around me as I drip water onto the foyer floor. I look past the columns that lead through to our living room and out the French doors. Lightning strikes the ground mere inches from the doors, illuminating a mans face. The man stands calmly on the other side, I feel the blood drain to my feet and my heart sink into my stomach. The man is Damien. He draws his index finger across his neck as an evil twisted grin breaks over his face.

I turn to Keith and see him in the kitchen. I don't recall him ever leaving, but now that I think about it, it won't make a difference wether or not he's here or not. Either way, Damien has made it clear, he is hell bent on killing me.

"Chocolate or white?" Keith calls from the kitchen.

I tear my eyes away from the French glass doors and look over at Keith, "white." I say trying to keep my voice steady. I walk over and into the kitchen. I let the towel drop onto the stool before I sit on it, protecting it from my soaking wet clothes. I place my hands on the perfectly smooth Quartz countertop of our island. I sit next to the dishwasher which is placed to my right. The cool metal door hangs spotless above our tile floor. I pull the door down and gently pick up a glass, the flawlessly clean and clear glass is always impressive. There is a small design etched into it in the shape of a rose.

"Called it!" Keith says. The fact that he offered myself a drink a moment ago completely slipped my mind.

"Is it even up for questioning which type I prefer at this point?" I ask dryly. I glance over at the foyer just in case Damien has moved, but so far he hasn't. I hand my glass to Keith as I tear my eyes away from Damien and the window. I would take an educated guess to say my glance is more of a stare.

"I just like bugging you." He said as the milk slid out of the bottle and smoothly into the glass. He picks it up and hands it to me, smiling gently at me.

I take the glass and bring it to my lips. I take a long daw out sip from the glass, and smile at Keith's reaction.

"Really Kimberly, that is very unladylike." He jokes smiling at how appalled I look at him.

"Your quite right my dear brother I'm sorry, I don't know what's come over me." I say in my best English accent.

"Quite alright my dear." He says back in a Scottish accent.

I try not to spit my milk all over Keith but he keeps egging me on. He continues his horrid accent and eventually I spit it out all over him. I laugh and knock over the bar stool. I crash to the ground cackling with laughter. Keith helps me up before taking my glass of milk.

"You want a duel my good lady?" He asks sounding suddenly very southern. He lifts the glass above my head and pours it on me.

I shriek and for a moment, I forget all about Damien and Cheyenne and Alexander. I run to the kitchen tap and turn it on. The head has a cord attached so I pull it out and spray Keith despite his protests. I laugh at him when he is finally able to turn off the tap, he is drenched from head to toe, water poring down his face.

"What is going on!" Aunt Sofie shouts. Keith and I look at each other.

"Keith started it!" I say immediately. He snorts but nods his head. Aunt Sofie appears in the doorway.

"I don't care." she sighs, "just clean it up tomorrow, get to bed Kimberly its late." She turns and waits by the columns.

Keith and I walk passed her and walk over to the stairs. As I start to ascend the stairs my Aunt stops us.

"Oh, and you two need to make sure you close the French doors. They were open when I came down." She reminds us.

"But Aunt Sofie, we only went out the front door." Keith says sounding puzzled.

But Damien was waiting on the outside, or at least...he had been.