Chapter 8

I wake up at the crack of dawn. The birds assault my ears with their loud chirps, the sun dances as I get up to close my blinds. True to his word, Alexander left, I can see him down the street in front of his house. I sigh, why did I agree to this? I still had to clean up the kitchen. Just take your phone and say that one of your teachers told you to come down to the school to drop something off. Even then, school was only a three minute walk, and I will have to find a way to explain why I take so long. Not to mention it's a Saturday on top of that.

I walk into my closet where things were a strewn. My blood was all over the dresser, which was the last thing I wanted. I pull my top drawer open and let the sent of our laundry detergent waft in the air. I look through my tops, but all I can find is a blouse. Fine, I'll wear a dress then. I think to myself. I run my fingers through my summer dress collection and decide on a cute bright pink dress with a flowy skirt. It brushes my knees, and cascades down from my waist.

I walk over to my jewelry box and pick up a small sparkling necklace with a single small diamond in the middle. I clip it around my neck and leave my room. I descend the stairs and turn at the bottom. I walk over our soft carpet and up onto the laminate flooring. I run my eyes over my shoes and decide on my black flats. I grab my rain coat off of our coat rack and open the door as quietly as I can. The water comes down in buckets, somehow upstairs I didn't notice it was pouring rain. I sigh and close the door. I kick my shoes off and reach for my rain-boots.

Beside them is a note from Alexander saying; don't forget your phone. Beside my rain-boots, is a brand new iPhone 6. I unbox it and find it already configured, with a single phone number in it, Alexanders. I run my finger over the smooth screen and feel amazed. You can't keep it. I tell myself. But I still feel so captivated as I put the lid back on.

Snap out of it you have to get over there! I scold myself. I pick my knee high boots and slip my feet into them. I slide the iPhone, along with the box, into my purse at the end of the shoe rack. I slide my coat on and sling my purse over my shoulder, grab the note, and walk out the door.

~~~~~~~

I storm up to the front door of Alexanders house. The second he opens the door I step up to him, "I can't accept this." I say holding the iPhone box out to Alexander, trying to beHe shakes his head and sighs. He stands to the side of the doorway.

"It's for you. Take it." He says inviting me in. He meets my gaze steadily, and doesn't let go.

"He must really fancy you if he's already given you a gift." Stiren jokes.

"Honestly Stiren I'm going to freaking shoot you, and I'm not going to care!" Alexander snaps. He sighs and quickly collects himself, "my apologies Kimberly. I'm just a bit," he licks his lips looking for the right word. His brow is pulled into a scowl, making him look as though he's concentrating extremely hard.

I find myself wondering if he knows just how handsome he looks. my stare must not have gone unnoticed, because Stiren was batting his eyelashes at the pair of us. I roll my eyes realizing he's here with us, I keep myself from staring.

Stiren laughs and suggests that I take my coat off before I ruin the floor. I place my purse and the iPhone case on the ground and unzip my jacket. Immediately Alexander was behind me grabbing my jacket from me. I thank him and slip my boots off. I take the iPhone box and slide it back into my purse. I look around at the quaint little home. Directly in front of me was a small living room with a glass coffee table in the middle. On the far side, a doorway into the kitchen. The kitchen entry was framed with old columns coloured a gorgeous cream colour. The carpet covering the floor of the living room was a dirty beige. The small entryway was cover in a rule floor and a horrible floral wallpaper. I look around the house as the vaulted ceiling captures my attention.

"So what's the deal with Stiren?" I ask calmly, still spinning around and gazing up at the underside of the roof.

"You mean who he is and what he does?" Alexander clarifies.

"Yes." I swallow. Stopping my spinning and looking Alexander dead in the eye.

"He's a chaser, but he's not your average chaser. You see, he was thrown out years ago. He unknowingly led our king into a battle that would cost him his son. So any dealing has to be done under the table. What you have to understand, is that if you are caught speaking with him and you are in a position of power, you can be tried, and convicted...of aid to manslaughter."