Game Night

Y/n P.O.V

After telling everyone about Project Gestalt and Project YoRHa, I loaded up my console and put on a four player split screen game. It felt good to be able to put all my spare controllers to use. The first group of people to play were Kaine, Emil, 21o and Nier. As for the game I put on, I put on something that wouldn't be violent for Yonah. The only multiplayer game I had for that was Pes. I wasn't the biggest fan of football but it was a free game weekend kind of thing so I figured I'd get it. 

Nier: So what's the goal of this game? 

Y/n: You guys know what football is, right? 

A2: You mean that sport where people just run back and forth kicking a ball around?

Y/n: That's basically it in a nutshell, but you have to score in your opponent's goal to win. Whichever team has the most goals by the end of the game wins. 

21o: Sounds easy enough. Um... What are the controls? 

Y/n: Here, I'll show you. 

Borrowing 21o's controller, I went to settings and displayed the controller layout. 

Y/n: These are all the controls. It's a bit much for a first time, but I'm sure you guys can get used to it. 

They nodded and memorised the controls. Once they had fully memorised them, they nodded. 

Kaine: Okay. I think I got it. 

Emil: This is gonna be fun! 

Adam: So... Forgive me if this seems a bit of a dumb question, but what is the point of playing games? Surely there are better ways of spending one's time. 

Y/n: Well its a nice way to wind down and relax. Though I suppose it also depends on what you're playing too. I've seen some videos where people kinda go ballistic when playing games. 

Eve: How ballistic? 

Y/n: They go as far as to break their TV and console. But those guys are just unstable anyway. 

9s: Wouldn't they have to pay to fix those things? 

Y/n: Yeah. Unless they know how to fix it themselves. Anyway, let's start the match. And let's make it more interesting by making it a two on two. 

21o: What? You're going to have us vs each other? 

Y/n: Yep. It'd make things more interesting. And there's no better way of learning how to play than challenging each other. 

Commander: It's like sparring. It's most useful when you do it with friends. 

Y/n: Yeah. We can go with that explanation. 

I loaded up the first match and made it boys vs girls. The teams were Nier and Emil vs 21o and Kaine. They picked their teams and were brought to their team formations which they all frowned at. 

Emil: Uh... What's this? 

Y/n: You can switch up your team's formation for different strategy. You can either take a defensive approach or go on the offense. Some players are better in certain positions, so it's best if you keep an eye on their stats. 

9s: So it also makes you think strategically. 

2b: I'll admit... That's not half bad. 

The two teams set up their formation and started the game. As they played, I also gave them a few tips on what to do. While they played, the others watched with growing excitement. Pretty soon, they began to cheer each other on. It was a heart-warming sight. Despite the support and extra time, the game was about to end with a draw. The only way to resolve this was with penalty kicks. 

Kaine: What's a penalty kick? 

Y/n: It's when a player has a chance to score with the only defence being the goal keeper. Whoever scores more out of 5 wins. 

Emil: So it's a last chance to decide a winner? 

Y/n: Yeah. That too. 

Nier: So how do we actually shoot this? 

Y/n: Just aim and shoot. And whoever's goal keeping has to try and stop the ball from getting in. 

With a nod, they started to get on with the penalty kicks. It was a close call for Kaine and 21o and they won by 1 more goal. 21o cheered and jumped up to her feet while Kaine just smiled and leaned back against the couch. 

Nier: Aww! So close! 

Y/n: Better luck next time Nier. 

Devola: You know... I think we really needed this. 

A2: No offence, but is this the only multiplayer game you've got? 

Y/n: Nope. I've got some other fighting games. But uhh... That might not exactly be appropriate for Yonah and Louise. I mean the age rating for a lot of games I've got are 18 and above. Sure I never really paid any attention to them when I was younger, but Nier will probably lay into me if the game gives his sister nightmares. 

Eve: Games can't be that bad, right? 

9s: Well it depends on the game. I've seen horror games where the aim is to scare you and most of the time, you don't have anything to defend yourself with back when we had a chance to look at the Internet.

Y/n: Yeah. I've got a couple horror games. Problem is most of them aren't really scary anymore. if you want scary, you're better off playing old games. 

Emil: I'm not sure if I'd wanna play a horror game. 

Y/n: No shame in that. Anyway, who's going next? 

For the rest of the night, we stayed up playing video games. And it looked like it helped everyone move on from the bombshells I dropped on them earlier. 

I just hoped they wouldn't somehow relapse and attack me.