Flame

It was a long and agonizing eight hours of Sasuke's life. Behind his stoic facade, lies what can only be felt from within... Somewhat.

He was sweating... profusely. Sakura has been holding his hand so tight he can hardly feel his fingers at all. He can see how purple it is now, and probably won't be using it again... well.. that is if Sakura herself, or Tsunade heals it for him but his mind isn't on his hand dying, it's on his wife who is in so much pain for the past 8 hours. 

He took a deep breath and gulped only to let it out as a big but short sigh. He hated this. This isn't how they wanted the baby to arrive. They were supposed to be in Konoha, in a hospital, with a bed, and clean sheets! Not in a dark hideout, Sakura lying on a hard bed (table?), and on top of a questionable bedspread. If only Sakura didn't insist-

"Hnnng. OOOOOOOOH my kamiiiiii."

His thoughts were cut off when the contractions started again. He slightly winced in pain for his wife. For the first time, rather feels like the first time, in Sasuke's life, he doesn't know what to do.

"KARIN!" He shouted.

Karin bolted inside the room and looked at Sakura with furrowed brows. Not mad but disturbed. She then proceeded to walk to the end of the bed and instructed Sakura something. When Karin still hadn't uttered a word, Sasuke's worry grew.

"What is it?"

"..."

"Karin! What is it!?"

"Relax, Sasuke. Will you? I'm analyzing her situation."

"She's in pain for the past eight hours, this doesn't look good."

"Sasuke-kun... I'm... fine.." Sakura managed to say in between pants.

"It's a natural thing, Sasuke. Some women go through it for days. Eight hours is nothing. Be glad Sakura is one of the strongest ones out there and you brought her here of all places. You suck.  I'm grateful I won't ever be in this situation." Karin snickered. Sakura let out a small amused laugh which surprised Sasuke considering she was already in pain but managed to laugh about a joke.

"Ok, Sakura. You're almost there. 9cm now."

"Alright. Thank you, Karin. I owe you this."

"Don't thank me yet. I'll be right back to boil some water now."

When Karin left the room, Sasuke looked at his wife, her eyes closed tight, her breathing uneven, her hands caressing her now slightly deflated belly. His brows furrowed further in worry.  Sasuke scooted closer to his wife and slowly closed his eyes as his forehead now stuck with hers.

"You're amazing, woman." he let out. Sakura's eyes slowly widened in surprise and let out a small chuckle.

"Thank you, Sasuke-kun."

Just then, Karin went back to the room with a basin of water and harshly kicked Sasuke out of the room. 

"Can't I stay here?"

"No. Get out."

Sasuke's mood suddenly grew more gloomy as he walked slowly out of the room. He can't help but look at his wife, his face pale with worry. When he got out, he heard her groan in pain and let out a small scream. When the door shut in his face, he saw Karin instructing Sakura to push.

It was also long and agonizing waiting outside the room. He didn't know it but he was pacing. He can hear his wife's groans and wails as Karin tells her to push. 

And then there was silence. 

There was a good minute of silence but Sasuke felt like it was an eternity. He couldn't hear anything from the room which made him sweat cold and he feared that there might be a problem and then.. a cry.

Karin opened the door and there he saw his wife, panting in exhaustion, her eyes barely opening indicating that she was tired and on the verge of passing out but what amazed Sasuke was that despite her being tired and hurt, there was a smile on her lips. 

His eyes then lingered on her chest area where a little onyx-haired bundle lay. He slowly made his way toward them and as he got closer, the blanket that covered the little bundle was in view. Like a flame, the child lit their worlds, especially her father's.  His lips made a small smile as he slowly and ever so tenderly held Sakura's hand in his.

"Sasuke-kun.." Sakura said

Sasuke gave her a small smile, bent down to her level, and kissed her forehead. When he closed his eyes doing so, he felt a trickle on his cheeks and he realized that he had been crying. He didn't know that such a small human can tug on his heart so much it hurts in a good way. The need to protect, love, and raise this child is strong, and Sasuke appreciates his wife so much for having to go through all those struggles before during, and now after the pregnancy. He knows that what he has now, he never deserves but the universe brought them together for him and he swore he would dedicate his life to his family whatever it takes.

"Thank you, Sakura."

Sakura just smiled at him, as her tears were already drenched on her face. His lips then meet hers.

For the first time in a long while, Sasuke finally felt complete again.