Sam's 13th birthday

After Sam's dull day filled with research, training, and bad tv, thunder roars through the door as a fifteen year old Katelyn swiftly walks into the motel room with a book bag on her back and locks the door, breathing heavily. She's wearing a big, black Sweatshirt with a hood on, ripped dark jeans, and black boots. Her clothes are soaked and the hairs poking out of her hood are sticking to her skin.
"Where were you." Twelve year old Sam asks looking up from the tv.
John had a dangerous hunt he wanted to work and he finally let Dean tag along. The only problem was they felt Sam wasn't ready yet. Luckily Kate was going to come over anyway so they made her stay and babysit.
She didn't mind though. Sam was her best friend.
She left quickly about an hour ago telling Sam to stay put and lock the doors.
"Out." She says with a smirk.
"You left me here for hours." Sam says looking angry.
"Don't be dramatic, I was gone five minutes." She says taking off her hood and walking over to a chair next to him.
"There was nothing to eat." Sam crosses his arms.
"Dude, what do you think I was getting ." She sighs before unzipping her bag and and pulling out a two tin foil wrapped burgers, some chips, two large fries, two honeybuns, some chocolate bars, gummy worms, a small vanilla cupcake, and two sodas.
"Where'd you get all this?" Sam says incredulously.
"Bobby lent me some extra cash so, I thought we deserved something to brag about when Dean gets back." She smiles while Sam begins to dig into his food.
After a few moments of eating she slowly goes into her book bag and pulls out a small rectangle and a thing that's obviously a football all wrapped in newspaper.
"You didn't have to.." Sam starts.
"Sammy, come on just open em. You only turn the big 1,3 once." I say smiling.
He sighs with a small smile and grabs the little box.
"That's from me and Dean." I state as he rips it open to find a deck of cards.
"I figured you'd want a new pack for poker or your magic act." I say as he laughs a little.
"I thought you said magic was lame."
"No I said the cape was lame, card tricks are cool." I say shoving him a bit, laughing.
"Thank you."
"Open the next one, it's from Dean."
"I pretty much already know what ..."
"Sammy We didn't wrap those for nothing." I chime in sternly.
"Ok, geez." He rips off the paper to find a blue foam football.
"Dean said when he gets back we could all drive somewhere and toss it around if you want."
"That would be awesome." Sam says with a huge smile.
"Ok so there's one more gift but I didn't have time to wrap it." Kate says looking into her bag and pulls out three thick books.
Withering heights
Anne Frank
And To kill A mocking bird.
"Whoa, where did you get those?" Sam says surprised.
"That's not important." Kate says dismissively.
"Katie..." Sam starts feeling the smooth cover.
"Look I talked to your teacher today, he says your really smart. That you like to read and you could have a great future If you pushed yourself a little. You just didn't have the materials to make that happen, and what kind of best friend would I be if I didn't help you out with that." Kate says staring at him with a smile. Sam's eyes are getting glossy.
"I know it seems like there's nothing you can do to change the path your going down but I want you to always remember you write your own story in this world, make it one you'd be proud for people to read." She whispers looking into his tear stained eyes.
"Thank you." Sam chokes out looking at her with a genuinely happy smile.
"No problem, happy birthday." She says wrapping him in a hug.
"Gross, your soaked." He laughs trying to get away.
"Don't ruin the moment nerd." She says squeezing tightly.
After a moment of happy silence, they finally let go Sam wipes his eyes and they continue eating their feast, cracking jokes and insults the entire time.
Afterwards they popped popcorn and watched scary movies until Sam began to dose off.
Kate watches his smiling, sugar coma induced face fall asleep before she finally does the same.
Sam always remembers that day as his favorite memory of his best friend.
The person who understood him better than anyone.
His family.