. 28

ADNAN

Dinner before Yaya Ismail got married was always lively, he got married and left, then dinner became the same routine, soft clatters and few conversations. Everyone will be in their on own train of thoughts, speaking out whenever it was necessary. As much as i was a quiet person, mama was also, baba on the other hand, he hates silence, literally.

That was the reason why any day yaya comes with his family to visit, the entire aura changes. No silence at all. He never keeps quiet, always jumping from one topic to another. And he married someone exactly like him. Ive never seen a couple that matches each other's energy like they do. Just for their daughter to be the most quiet baby. Wonders.

"Aliyu ive been telling you to drop that stressful job and join us." 

"Leave him baba. Ive told him when he gets married he'll need time for his family."

I rolled my eyes before mama replied him "because you got married we'll not rest fah."  Exactly

"With the way things are going baba, im coming very soon."

Since i graduated, baba asked me to join his company, where yaya is too. Its a foreign exchange company, but i refused because i admired the banking system. Mistake. I should've went when i had the chance. Its very hectic. And i know my patience level is at its peak, im resigning very soon.

"Oho dai, you'll finish forming and come. Muna nan muna jiran ka." I chuckled as the cold taste of tamarind went down my throat. Baba wanted to have moimoi for dinner while i wanted yam porridge. Of course, mama chose her darling husband, telling me to get married if i wanted to have food choices. But when you have an elder brother thats married to a very nice saviour, nothing is impossible.

The custom notification that came from my phone made me drop my spoon way faster than i should have. I knew i was playing a very dangerous game investing myself too much but that'll be something to worry about another day.

Arwa- I actually just left the dinner. Ive never missed my bed like I did today. How's the headache? I intended to call you but i wanted to shower first, and then i was sure you were having dinner.

I didn't try to fight off the smile that involuntary made its way to my face. I once told her that if i spend a very stressful day at the office, my head hurts. She remembered.

-Im perfectly alright, thank you for asking. You can call me when you're done.

I didn't realize the eyes that were on me until i dropped my phone. I looked at each of their expressions: baba had a confusing look, probably as to why im smiling at my phone. Mama had a wide smile, yaya, a teasing look, and ya hauwa, a knowing smile. I cleared my throat hoping they won't say anything but it would've rained if they didn't. And of course yaya had to be the one to speak first.

"I saw arwa's graduation pictures, she looked really beautiful,right mama? ." I raised my head to shoot him a look. They shouldn't start when baba is here.

"Yes, she absolutely did. Especially the one with the red dress."

My brows furrowed immediately. I didn't see any picture with a red dress. Even though i was very occupied at the office and couldn't make it, arwa made sure she kept me updated, i saw everything.

I looked at ya hauwa with confusion. She pointed at her phone with a smile. I wasted no time in checking my messages and saw that she sent it to me

A literal savior, yaya is really lucky