Horror

"And then this guy ran for his life the second Aussie set loose some geese!" we roared with laughter as America told us another story about his family. Canada sniffed as he pretended to be hurt. "Geese are scary. Where the little christer got 'em is beyond me. Mom knows we shouldn't keep geese in the palace grounds," he crossed his arms, unamused.

America smiled slyly as he whispered, "It's a secret!" Canada smacked him on the back but Ame only grinned wider and stuck out his tongue. The others and I laughed at their banter. Just then, the school bells chimed. A hush fell over the crowd as a man in a pristine white suit floated down from the sky. It was our principal, UN. He smiled, a little smug if you asked me, as he descended and landed on the balcony of the school building. Raising his hands, he opened his mouth and...

Nothing came out. A chuckle went through the crowd. UN frowned as he turned around to face Vice-principal INTERPOL. After a moment, he turned back to face us, a smile on his face. "Welcome everybody to Pangea Preparatory Academy! For our new students, if you didn't know, I'm United Nations, UN for short. I am your principal. And the lady over there," he gestured to Miss INTERPOL who was hiding in the shadows, "is your vice-principal, INTERPOL." A murmur went through the crowd as the Year 1s digested this information. UN paused for a moment before continuing, "Normally I would give out the announcements for the year in my speech on the first day of school. However, this year I will have to deviate a little as this concerns your living arrangements."

"Huh? What about our living arrangements?"

"Oh great, we're going to live with others right?"

"What?! No way..."

"I heard that one group of the students caused this."

UN cleared his throat and all became silent. "As I was saying, normally all of you would have had your own private rooms. Unfortunately, due to an...erm...unexpected fight during the holidays, the Western dormitory was destroyed. We decided to take the chance to refurbish the dorms and will be doing so with all the other dorms as well in due time. Unfortunately this means that we are short of some rooms. In order to solve this, take it as good or bad news, we have decided to let you..."

"Share rooms."

The second he said that, the field erupted into shouts. "Ugh, no way! I'm definitely going to be paired up with that idiotic Russian or that Chinese asshole," America grumbled, crossing his arms. "How do you know that?" Japan countered and America launched into a whole rant about how UN liked to force people who hated...blah blah blah. I wasn't really paying attention. My whole mind was simply fixated on one thing–Who was my roommate?

*

"The lists are currently being passed down. You will be paired up with 2 other students of the same gender. However to foster inter-level bonding, we will be putting students of different age groups together. You may or may not get another person from your level."

I was passed my scroll. The paper felt smooth and cold in my hands. It was tied together with a golden ribbon with my name etched on it in silver. In one swift motion, I untied the ribbon as the scroll unfurled. As I read through the names, I felt a sense of horror. The world seemed to twist and turn as I felt my body turn cold.

No...no...I can't have...I...I...holy shit...no way...

"Poland! Are you okay?" America looked at me, his black eyes boring into mine. I shook my head, too shocked to say a word. From the corner of my eye, I saw Germany with his head in his hands, a resigned expression on his face. Canada picked up my list–I hadn't even realised it fell–as he read through it. His face morphed through a couple emotions before it finally settled on...pity. Japan, South Korea and a few other countries swarmed over to him and gasped as they read through the list. "Oh no, I'm so sorry Poland!" Japan cried as she hurried over to hug me. I hugged her back, or at least I think I did, everything was so blurry then.