Repairing a fractured mind

"Can I talk to you please? It won't take long," America asked me. He looked at me, eyes filled with earnestness. My heart thumped nervously but I found myself nodding. As we left, I noticed America giving Poland a strange look. What if Poland has something to do with this? I felt my palms become sweaty and discreetly wiped it against my pants' legs as I followed after him.

America brought me to a dark and secluded hallway. The sun's rays illuminated his face and for a split second, I swore that there was a halo over his head. He leaned against the wall as he wrung his hands together. "Um..." he started off, before abruptly trailing off. He bit the inside of his cheek as he fiddled with the buttons of his dress shirt. After that, he scratched his cheek before cracking his knuckles. "What was it you wanted to talk to me about?" I sighed, tired of waiting.

He stood up straight as he stammered, "Right...right...er...so...I...oh come on America, it's not that hard!" He lowered his voice as he talked to himself.

I turned to leave, not wanting to deal with him and his nonsense. As I turned, America grabbed my wrist and spun me back to face him. "I just wanted to apologise for my actions earlier. It was uncalled for," he released my wrist when he finished. "You don't have to accept it if you don't want to," he added hurriedly, rubbing his wrist. I felt as if the air had been sucked out of my lungs. My brain felt like it was short-circuiting.

"I should go, Poland is waiting for me," I choked out before rushing out of the hallway.

*

By the time I entered Nurse WHO's office, my breathing managed to even out. She was already there with Poland. When I met his gaze, I noticed his crestfallen expression. Did I do something wrong? I wondered as I took a seat. Nurse WHO didn't seem to notice the sombre mood as she immediately jumped to the chase. Clapping her hands excitedly, she told us that she had good news.

"I think you two are ready to do the treatment! We can start on it today!" she exclaimed.

"Oh..." I looked at Poland, surprised by his lacklustre reaction. Nurse WHO seemed a little confused as she frowned. "Do...do you not want to do the treatment Poland? We don't have to if you don't want to," she placed a hand on his reassuringly.

"No! Of course not! Ah, let's get to it now!" Poland's eyes widened, his voice high-pitched. I frowned but said nothing. Nurse WHO narrowed her eyes but nodded anyway. "I'll grab some things before we start. Please wait for me here," she informed us before leaving. I slumped in my chair as my brain tried to remember whatever I managed to read in that blue journal. However, no matter how hard I tried to think, nothing came to my mind. Instead, it kept drifting to Poland's reaction. Why does he seem so lacklustre? Did something happen? Did I do something to upset him? Worry ate at me and I couldn't help but become restless.

Finally I couldn't take it. "Did I do something?" I blurted out as Poland looked at me in confusion. "Pardon? What did you say? I don't understand you," he asked, blinking in confusion. It dawned on me that I had been speaking in German. "Sorry. I...I asked if I did something wrong. You seem off–especially when Nurse WHO announced that treatment could begin. I thought you couldn't wait for it to begin?" I repeated my question, face a little red.

Poland relaxed and sighed softly. He murmured under his breath but I didn't catch it. Looking at me he asked, "Earlier...with Ame...did he say anything mean? Your expression was stormy...and I thought that he...are you okay?" So that's what he's worrying about. I immediately apologised for worrying him and reassured him that everything was fine.

He sighed as he leaned back into his seat. "Thank god. I thought that that idiot had said something mean again. For once he is using his brains," he chuckled. I found myself smiling, a small giggle slipping out. Poland looked a bit taken aback but didn't say anything. We sat quietly, stuck in our own thoughts. But other than that, it was peaceful.