Back after a break

Singapore had not been with us for most of the half term break since he had returned to the Kingdom of Silk to spend the holiday with his family. Poland had tried to get me to engage with his friend group multiple times but after the first two (extremely awkward) times, I politely explained that I wasn't comfortable with "intruding" on his personal relationships. He stopped asking me after that incident so for the most part of the break, I was able to spend time alone in the library reading or studying. It was rather nice to be honest. Alas all good things must come to an end. The half term break went by in a flash and soon, it was back to school.

RINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG~ I slammed a hand on my alarm clock and sighed. The torture continues. I hardly slept last night; my thoughts were just too turbulent. Rubbing my eyes, I trudged to the toilet to wash up. When I came out, I saw Poland sitting quietly on the couch. "Guten Morgen Poland," he looked up and smiled.

"Morning Germany," his cheerful expression faded, "Did you sleep at all last night?"

I gave a sheepish smile before answering, "A little." Poland looked at me aghast. "What kept you up?" he asked. I shook my head and told him not to worry. He looked like he wanted to ask further but was stopping himself. "Well, I hope you will survive today. You have training later right?" he cocked his head. I nodded, stifling a yawn.

"Good luck then."

"Thanks," I gave him a small smile before shuffling back to my room. Once I changed into my training uniform, I grabbed my satchel and made sure I had everything. Running my hand through my hair, I took a deep breath to steady my nerves. Everything will be fine Germany. Things are better now. I repeated my mantra over and over, pacing back and forth. I mean, I wasn't completely wrong. Ever since I had helped Poland, people had begun to talk to me and they seemed a little less scared. Of course there were still the haters but it wasn't something I couldn't handle. To be honest, talking to people seemed worse compared to the haters. Hah, I guess I could blame it on my social awkwardness.

As I was leaving the dorm, Singapore stepped out of his room. He was already dressed in his uniform and looked like he was leaving too. "Morning Germany!" he greeted me cheerfully. I greeted him back before asking, "I thought you were still asleep?"

"Nope, I woke up earlier so I decided to prepare first. Are you going now?" I nodded in response.

"Oh, do you want to walk together?"

"Sure."

As we walked through the hallways, we shared about our holidays. I didn't have much to say so it was mainly Singapore talking. "Have you ever been to the Kingdom of Silk?" he asked, "Their library is so cool!" I shook my head before explaining, "I don't really travel out of my kingdom too much apart for school. Although I do vaguely remember going to Historia during the war."

Singapore 'ohhh-ed' silently before excitedly telling me that I should make a trip down to the Kingdom of Silk one day. "The culture there is amazing!" he smiled fondly, "And most locals are friendly. Just...just don't go into the gambling sector." He shivered as fear clouded his eyes, "That's where the gangs and...stuff are at." By stuff, he meant drugs. Unfortunately for the Kingdom of Silk, despite the colourful culture they had, underneath that layer laid a past tainted by blood and drugs. Most of the lower class often fell into the trap of becoming addicted to drugs–specifically opium–to ease their suffering and pain. It was only until recently that their Emperor started to stamp out the use of it. Even then, many still took it since the rules were never really that enforced. (To be very honest, it's probably because the government still wishes to earn money from the sale of opium. Banning it would affect them heavily.)

"Are you from the Kingdom of Silk? You seem to know the place extremely well," I commented. Singapore nodded, a fond smile on his face. "Perhaps I'll be able to see you there one day. I'll make sure to bring you around if you do," he seemed extremely excited and I didn't have the heart to tell him that it would be almost impossible with my guards surrounding me at all times. Instead, I politely thanked him. We continued to converse with him asking questions about my kingdom. Internally, I was wincing at my lack of knowledge of the "famous" places. Then again, it wasn't as if many people came to our kingdom for leisure. If anything, the most "famous"–or rather infamous– place would have been the castle which is where Oma and I lived. And maybe Cologne Palace in the capital. It was the largest building in all of West Pangea and the tallest double tower structure in the whole of Pangea. It used to serve as a palace for royalty hundreds of years ago, long before the Kingdom of Darkness ever formed. Its long history was a reason it attracted people to go there–assuming they even dared to come to the kingdom. It also sheltered thousands of citizens during the war.