21. When Love and Hate Collide

~ Dean ~

When we get back at Bobby's place, Kendall hasn't said a single word during the whole ride. At first she just kept staring out the window, but I think she fell asleep at some point. Which was good. She really needed a rest from all this stuff. I mean, finding out you're not entirely human is one thing but... having no control of yourself while you're in that.. state, is a whole other story. She killed someone tonight, sliced Jackson up pretty good too. That guilt is going to haunt her. Been there, done that.

Sam and I get out of the car and walk over to the trunk to get the bags. We bring them inside and realise that Kendall is still in the car, sleeping. We figured she would wake up from all the noise we were making. Guess not.

"Go to bed," I tell Sam. "I got this." Sam nods and turns around, heading upstairs to his bed. I walk towards Baby and open the door on Kendall's side. She's lying on her side, sprawled out on the backseat. I can't help but smile fondly at the sight. She was even snoring softly.

She looked so peaceful, I didn't have the heart to wake her up. So I carefully scoop her up in my arms, the blanket still somewhat around her slim body. Her head rests on my shoulder and her hand is now clutching my shirt, but her breathing is still regular and soft, so she's still sound asleep. As softly as I can, I close the door and head towards the house of her uncle.  I take her upstairs and towards her room, gently laying her in her bed and laying the covers ontop of her, somewhat tucking her in. 

Just when I'm about to leave her room, her breathing becomes more rapid and a frown appears on her face, as if she were suddenly having a nightmare. Her hand shoots out towards my arm and she grips it tight, taking me by surprise. 

"Stay. Please, stay," She mumbles, her eyes still closed. I wasn't sure if she was dreaming or not and I stood there, not knowing what to do now. If she was still asleep, she probably would be very confused as to why I would be in her bed the next morning. I try to pry off her fingers from my arm but she only tightens her grip.

I sigh and decide there's no way out of this. I climb over her, careful not to touch or fall on top of her and lay down next to her sleeping body. She instantly relaxes and lets go of my arm, her breathing once again calm and regular. I don't bother getting under the covers. I decided I'll be gone before she wakes up. 

As I lay there next to her on my back, she scoots closer and rests her head on my shoulder, her arm wrapping around my waist, hugging me close to her. I smile as a weird warm feeling floods my body. I wrap my arms around her body now too, as I recognize the feeling.

It's a feeling of home.

***

~ Kendall ~

When I wake up, I'm in my bed at Bobby's, not remembering how or when I got here, but grateful I am home. I read on the clock that it's 7:36 in the evening. Wow. I slept for a really long time.

I turn around in bed, frowning, feeling like there's something missing. I try to shake off the feeling, probably just imagining things.

Images of last night flash through my mind and I flinch. I killed someone last night. I killed Sander last night. Sure, he pissed me off, but he was a friend. Tears try to make their way to my eyes again but I don't let them. Sam was right. They were not worth the guilt. Stop crying, goddammit.

Alright. Time to get up. I'm just going to try to forget it all, push it all to the back of my mind. I won't talk about it, I won't think about it. Time to man up.

A shower seems like a good idea. It always is after a night like this. I get up and walk over to the bathroom, and step in the shower cabine after taking off my clothes. The stream is steaming hot as it hits my back, but it's not yet burning my skin. I don't bother turning the heat down, kind of seeing this as a punishment for myself, something I deserve. Being a Beserker, a monster, is way more.. difficult, for lack of a better word, than I initially thought. I hate that I don't have control. I hate that I killed someone. I hate not being normal. Why can't I be normal?