27. The Girl Next Door

"Manu, stop licking the poor girl's face."

That's the first thing I hear when I feel myself regaining consciousness. I move my fingers slightly, getting back the feeling in them. And then I feel it on my face. A wet tongue licking my cheek.

"Manu," the voice says with a laugh as the feeling stops. I open my eyes slowly, my vision a bit blurry at first, but then it sharpens and I'm staring at a ceiling. I look to my right to see the back of a couch on which I seem to be lying. Then I turn my head to the left, to come face to face with what seems to be a wolf. He looks at me with his head tilted, his stare almost penetrating. But then he opens his mouth and starts panting like a happy dog that's just done playing.

I smile and move my hand towards his head, scratching behind his ear.

"He might look like a stone cold killer, but he's a real sweetheart," A voice speaks up and I look up to see Clary standing a few feet away, with a mug in her hands. A red bandana is wrapped around her forehead, her chestnut brown hair in a messy bun. She was wearing a bohemian/hippie dress with a plain zipper hoodie over it. When I looked closer I could see blood was smeared on it.

I tried to sit up but winced as I did. I had leaned on my left arm, which had lead to pain shooting through it. I looked at it and saw a bandage was wrapped around it, little spots of blood were seeping through it.

"Were you able to stitch it up?" I ask Clary, my voice hoarse. She smiles and sets the mug on the table on front of me before sitting down in a chair next to the couch.

"Yeah I was. It wasn't easy and it was a lot of work but I managed," She answers and then briefly points at the mug. "I made you some herb tea, to help get you your strength back. And if you're hungry, I have some left over hamburgers in the fridge."

"My god, you're an angel," I joke as I fully sit up, and Clary laughs. "But really, thank you so much for finding me and helping me," I say in all seriousness. "If it hadn't been for you, I wouldn't be sitting here right now." She looked at me and smiled.

"It's no problem. You were lucky that there's no full moon right now, though," She warns with a laugh and I laughed with her. "So what happened? What roughed you up this bad?"

"I honestly don't know.." I sigh and run my good hand through my messed up hair. I can feel some dried up blood tangled in the knots. "It was a monster I've never seen or even heard of before."

"Well, what did it look like?" Clary asked.

"It looked human, but it had a huge mouth and its blood was black. It didn't seem harmed by bullets either. Do you have any idea what it could be?" Clary seemed to think about it for a moment but then shook her head.

"I'm telling you.. something weird is cooking up," I say.

I wanted to lean on my foot to reach for the mug but before I could the wolf, or dog, Manu pushed me back on the couch with his head. I looked at him, confused, as he lays his head on my lap.

"You hurt your ankle pretty badly," Clary says as she grabs the mug and hands it to me. "Manu knows and wanted to warn you before you put your weight on it."

"How did he know?" I ask.

"I told him," She answers simply with a smile. "Manu is very intelligent and we understand each other. I don't know if it's because of what I am, but I do know that when I look into his eyes and he looks back, we understand each other."

"That's amazing," I say as I rake my fingers through Manu's fur. Clary stays quiet, looking at the wolf with adoration as I scratch behind its ears.