16. All My Own Stunts

"Dean! Dean wake up!" 

My thoughts were spinning, a dull pain throbbing in the back of my head. Opening my eyelids didn't seem like a good idea just yet. Until I remembered what had happened the night before. And I distinctly remember not having drunk anything last night, so this feeling was not a hangover. 

I didn't even have to open my eyes, someone did it for me, letting the bright light in that could have been the sun itself. I groaned and slapped away the hand of whoever opened my eyes and probably had a death wish.

"Dude, not cool," I said. I hear my brother's famous snort.

"You know what's also not cool? Waking up alone in that motel room, then finding you unconscious by the lake and no trace of Kendall anywhere," He retorted. He sounded like he was joking but I could hear the connotation. He was pissed, but most of all, worried.

With a sigh, I decided to open my eyes myself this time and was met Sammy's green ones. He was kneeling beside my body with a frown on his face, then stood up, holding out his hand. I gratefully took it and let him pull me up on my feet. As soon as I stood I felt a dull pain by my ankle. I hissed slightly and took a look at it. The bottom of the left of my pants was soaked in blood. Sam saw it too and knelt down to look at the cut.

"Hm. Not too bad," He muttered. "You won't need stitches." He sighed and stood up.

I looked around the beach and noticed a few people already relaxing on towels and beach chairs. "What do we do now?" I asked. Sam sighed again.

"I don't know. We should look for Kendall. But where do we start?"

I scratched the back of my neck and looked around hopelessly. "That's a good question."

***

~ Kendall ~

I stared at the Kappa as I stood in front of it, daring the other to make a move. In my peripheral vision I could see the two kids looking with wide eyes, anticipating what would happen next. I honestly had no idea what I was thinking when I challenged the creature. It wasn't more than a minute ago, but the thoughts of doubt came pretty soon after those words left my mouth. Never have I ever wrestled in my whole life and I knew the Kappa was supposed to be an expert on this front. Yet here I was, getting ready to attack.

If I was going down, I would go down swinging. I never imagined it any other way. I was actually pretty surprised I hadn't died already in my six years of hunting. 

Here we go. Just as the creature takes a step forward, the whole cave starts to rumble and shake. The Kappa's eyes widen as he shifts his eyes around. A loud high pitched sound makes its way into my ears and I cover my ears and groan. Not now, dammit.

"No.. no no no no NO!" The Kappa shouts frantically. "This isn't supposed to happen! You can't do this!" At that moment, Ariel appears between me and the creature, carrying an iron dagger. 

"I'm sorry," She says, regret lacing her voice, as the high pitched sounds get softer. "but I have to do this." With that she stabs the Kappa in the heart, and it crumples to the ground, its eyes open but vacant as it draws its last breath. Ariel then turns to her right, to face Jennifer and Elliot. They're both shaking with fear. She steps towards them and touches their foreheads, sending them into a deep sleep. 

"I thought you couldn't find me with the ribs and all that?" I demand as I cross my arms over each other. Her back is still facing me.

"The girl, she started praying out of fear," She tells me over her shoulder, and then proceeds to walk over to the dead Kappa. She crouches down and closes its eyes, sighing. "Forgive me, creature of nature," She whispers.