4. The Only Way Is Up

Okay, so maybe he hadn't forgiven me. It was foolish of me to think that he had. I mean, why else would his girlfriend hate me this much? Of course, I had thought that when I got here, he would've slammed the door in my face. But when he didn't, a spark of hope had flickered through me, and maybe I was hoping we could move on. Without underlying tension this time. Was it that naive of me to think that?

I could hear her screaming somewhere in the background. But I was so dumbstruck, so shocked that I had zoned out. I could still feel the tears rolling down my cheeks, and normally, I would've ran off and hid so no one would see me. Or I would blink them away. I would never let anyone see me cry. I would never let anyone think I'm weak.

"Do you even realize what you did to him?! I know you were hunting something and his brother was involved, yes, but how could you have?!" One of the many things she screamed at me. Devon was trying to defend me, trying to stop her from saying these awfully true things I buried a long time ago. Awful things I still regretted to this day. One of the reasons nightmares plagued my sleep at night.

Somehow, I jumped out of my daze. And I did what I was best at. I ran. Right out the front door of the house, not even bothering to close the door. I heard footsteps behind me. I knew it was Devon, but I kept running. Unfortunately, so did he. And he is faster than me, so when he caught up, he got a hold of my arm and turned me around, staring right into my tear stained face.

"Kendall please stop! Don't you dare run away again! Don't you dare leave me again!" He said to me, his voice cracking mid-sentence. I stared at him, feeling betrayed and indignant. I let out a sarcastic sad laugh.

"Leave you again?! You are the one who told me to go! And you are the one who told me to stay gone! You're the one who closed that door so don't you dare tell me I ran away and left you, Devon!" I practically yelled at him, a sob escaping my lips afterwards. He seemed to realize how upset I was, as he examined my eyes, and pulled me in for a hug, letting me cry on his shirt. And I let him. I allowed myself to be weak, just for once, to let out all the grief, sadness and pain I've been suppressing. I let it all out.

After there was nothing left, I just stayed quiet. Too tired to move or to say anything. Devon tried to talk to me and get me to say something, but I zoned him out. I didn't answer. I couldn't. He just picked me up and brought me back to his house, even though his fuming girlfriend Cathy was still there. He told her to stay downstairs and cool off for a moment, as he carried me up to his bedroom and laid me down on his bed. He told me to just rest for now, and then walked down again. Presumably sorting things out with Cathy.

I think I fell asleep at some point, because when I woke again, it was around eight pm. It took a moment for me to realize I was still at Devon's house. When I did, I got scared. Scared to go downstairs and face the confrontation. But I knew I couldn't avoid it. I couldn't just stay up here forever and hide. It's not even my damn house.

So I ignored all my doubts and petty fears, and walked down the stairs to the living room. I stepped into the room warily. But there were no traces of Devon nor Cathy. Did they leave me alone in their house?

Walking into the kitchen, I realized how thirsty I was. Hoping they would be okay with it, I opened the fridge, and saw a few bottles of beer. I grabbed one and opened it with my ring. Taking a large swig, I walked towards the front door, deciding that maybe I should just go find a motel or something to stay the night. But when I opened the door and stepped outside, I noticed a person sitting on the steps. Seeing as the person had blond hair that reached her shoulders, I concluded it wasn't Devon.

"Take a seat," She said timidly, breaking the silence. Surprisingly, there was no traffic at all, and it was silent outside. I knew it was a small town, but I expected.. scratch that, I don't know what I expected.