The Bread

Sejanus chose to sit right next to Coriolanus. As Lucky Flickerman began to introduce the games, flipping his stupid coin like it was a reality television show. Coriolanus watched intently as Lucy Gray stood on the pedestal, whispering to her as if she could hear. Sejanus bristled slightly, but turned his attention away from him. Sejanus stared in horror as he suddenly realized. The capitol had found Marcus.

As the bright numbers flashed to zero, Sejanus watched as one of the tributes, Lamina, stared sadly at Marcus. Marcus mouthed something to her, and she stared back at him. Sejanus knew what was going to happen before it did. He closed his eyes, mind whirling, and waited for the bang. As soon as it came, Sejanus stood up abruptly and left without saying a word. His mind whirling with anger, he decided what he was going to do.

***

Sejanus wasn't really sure how he did it. He snuck through the gates that night, walking from his apartment with the piece of bread swishing around in his pocket. He leaned over the gates and made his way to Marcus. Staring down at him regretfully, Sejanus began to take out his bread and break it into pieces. As he sprinkled the bread over his dead friends body, Sejanus felt a cold grip on his hand. He whirled around. "Coriolanus?"

Coriolanus stared at him, and Sejanus was glad it was dark enough to hide his red cheeks from Coriolanus' view. "W-why are you here?" Coriolanus leaned towards Sejanus, so close that Sejanus was holding back the urge to kiss him. "I don't want you to die," he whispered. "Seriously, Sejanus? What the hell are you doing here?" Sejanus glanced down at the bread, feeling foolish. "There is this thing in district two. When a loved one dies, you sprinkle bread crumbs on their body, so, um, they can eat in death. It sounds stupid..."

Coriolanus was close to Sejanus, so incredibly close that Sejanus could feel his breath on his neck. Coriolanus was staring down at his lips, he realized. "Coriolanus, I-" But just when he was about to say the most important thing he possibly could, Coriolanus grasped his wrist. "Sejanus," he murmured. "They're here. We- we have to go." Sejanus stared at him. "What?" But he was interrupted by the small sound of footsteps. "Run!" Coriolanus screamed it, but as soon as they made it to a gate, a district eight boy grabbed Sejanus' hand and pulled him backward.

Coriolanus grabbed a club from the Cornucopia. "Fuck it, Sejanus!" Sejanus had stopped to watch in awe, but now he scrambled upwards. Coriolanus bashed Bobbin, and started racing away toward the gate. "Come on!" Outside the gates Coriolanus stared up at Sejanus nearly terrified with himself. "Are you okay?" Coriolanus shook his head. "I killed somebody," he whispered. Sejanus held his hand tightly. If him and Coriolanus could never be together, the next best thing would be companions. Brothers. So, Sejanus let Coriolanus lean his head on his shoulder, and whispered into his ear, "It happens to the very best of us."