Chapter Nine

Don't underestimate the challenge of the Gauntlet, Mira. It's designed to test your balance, strength, and agility. The times don't matter for shit, only that you make it to the top. Reach for the ropes when you have to. Coming in last is better than coming in dead.

—Page forty-six, the Book of Brennan

"Are they going easy this year?" Jane asked as the group of four looked at the first years taking their first look at the gauntlet. They were making their way up a little bit higher because Catalina wanted to see the practice at a higher point.

Mary and Catalina - who was walking side by side - looked up at the menacing obstacle course that's carved into the front of a ridgeline so steep, it might as well be a cliff. The zigzagging death trap of a trail rises above us, climbing in five distinct switchbacks of 180-degree turns, each increasing in difficulty on the way to the top of the bluff that divides the citadel from the flight field and the Vale.

"If that's easy for you, you're welcome to scaling the gauntlet this year again." Reginald laughed, "Gods forbid you fall to your death." They finally reached the area that Catalina pointed at earlier. The group stopped and looked down at the first years as they rest.

The area was close enough to the obstacles they can shout down at cadets, but far enough so their humiliating criticisms won't be heard. Catalina and Mary would call it constructive criticism, Reginald and Jane would outright say they're berating people. A balanced quadro indeed.

"Amazing." Mary let put a breath. "It ought to take down at least twelve cadets this time."

"I bet on seventeen dead." Reginald wiped the sweat off his hands in thr handkerchief he was carrying around everywhere he went.

"I bet on twenty." Jane grumbled as she patted dust of her boots.

"Don't get your hopes too high. Last year looks easier and eighteen of them died." Catalina spoke flatly.

"Then what's your bet?" Jane asked, the other two looked at the wingleader as her eyes zeroed in below on Violet Sorrengail.

"As long as it's not Sorrengail, I don't care who dies." 'I bet on 30'

"Liar." Reginald flicked her forehead. "You don't want anyone dying at all."

"Everyone dies at this quadrant, death is expected. I won't bat an eyelid if it's someone else but if it's one of those in my inner circle, I'm definitely gonna be depressed." Catalina replied, making her three friends shut up.

"Nah, you'll tear the whole of Basgiath down once one of us dies." Jane laughs after a while, followed by Reginald and Mary. Even Catalina let out a small smile.

"We're fortunate if she only tears down Basgiath. Knowing Cat, she'll face Malek out of anger and demand to have us back." Mary quietly joked, making them laugh again.

"She'll make a deal too, out of curiosity if one can actually strike up a negotiation with the god of death." Reginald wheezed making their laughter louder.

"Stop teasing her now, or her highness might just shove us down this cliff." Jane said as the laughter slowly died down.

"Okay, okay. Thanks to this conversation though, I'm pressured to not die just in case Cat does end up doing those." Reginald looked down at his riding boots as he sighed.