Chapter Eight

There is an art to poison not often discussed, and that is timing. Only a master can properly dose and administer for effective onset. One must take into account the mass of the individual as well as the method of delivery.

-Effective Uses of Wild and Cultivated Herbs
by Captain Lawrence Medina

I grew suspicious of Violet's winning streaks. Not that I don't think she doesn't have an ounce of what it takes to defeat all her opponents so far, I can see her train and try to improve, but it's suspicious, but streaks? Really? She might be fast and is dangerous with daggers but she's defeating people left and right.

I've been watching her previous opponents as they train and when they're put back in the mat.

Seifert, the first one to be defeated by Violet and the guy who threw up actually fights decently. Not the best I've seen yes but definitely better than Violet when it comes to strength, he's like an angry bull that way. I bet if he didn't feel sick the day Violet faced against him, he'll crush her bones.

The following week after the vomit guy, a stocky girl from First Wing faced Violet on the mat. The poor girl can't concentrate long enough to throw a decent punch. She gets in a good kick to Violet's knee though, but when saw her face off with someone from the Third Wing the week after, a second year if I'm not mistaken, she defeated the bloke with no problem. Her punches are calculated, fast and strong enough to break a nose, her foot work could use some work though.

The week after that, Violet managed to defeat a tall guy from Third Wing. He stumbled, I cant help but overhear his squad leader ask why he stumbled and the kid told him it's because his feet temporarily lose all feeling. Some riders were proud though as he managed to land a few hit to Violeg's face, leaving her with a split lip and a bruise that colored her cheek for the next eleven days. But the kid was a second year, which is not an excuse (I know), but he is quite nimble despite his large feet. I watched him scale the Gauntlet last year like an immortal goat high on energy and stamina enchancing potions. He always use foot work while fighting, what made his feet go numb out of the blue? And while facing Violet out of all challenges too.

Which made me suspicious. I was on to Violet at that point but did not voice my suspicions. I instead did some digging around. Something happened the day or the day before those people were thrown in with Violet on the mat. They perform well, it hurts me to say it, but they perform better than her. If the gods doesn't do a miracle soon and bless Violet with super strength in the next few days, people would be really convinced she's a liability to her wing.

With brains or not, even though a sharp brain is useful in battle it is no good if you don't know how to fight. Harsh yes, but look at Brennan. He had the brains to be a brilliant strategist but he still ended up dead.

These made me conduct a private investigation.

The first to be investigated was the food. Always the food. How I learned why I should always look out for what goes in my stomach first does not need to be known. Just know that I learned it the hard way.

After asking the kitchen staff if I can somehow get a copy of the menus they've been serving the past few weeks, they were kind enough to give me a list containing the dishes they served each day.

When nimble foot's feet went numb, they served us roasted chicken, smoked corned, and a salad. After that day, we were served the same menu for four more days, two out of those four days he was thrown to the mat and his feet didn't go numb. I know a plant that can cause numbness but it isn't an ingredient for any of the dishes they served the day he fought against Violet.