Chapter Eleven

!!WARNING!!
I DO NOT ADVICE THOSE WHO IS STILL READING FOURTH WING AND HAVEN'T FINISHED IT YET TO READ THIS CHAPTER UNLESS YOU WANT A SPOILER. I MEAN IT'S QUITE OBVIOUS AND YOU CAN SEE THE TWIST COMING BUT STILL!! TURN AWAY IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED.

The fault of the father cannot be carried by the son, but the son will pay for the sins of his father.

- Recovered Entry from Lady Catalina Kozivar's Journal

Just because you survive Threshing doesn't mean you'll survive the ride to the flight field. Being chosen isn't the only test, and if you can't hold your seat, then you'll fly straight into the ground.

—Page fifty, the Book of Brennan

Flashback

"What a pleasant surprise," Xaden's voice sounded from behind her, Catalina turned her head towards him. "A Kozivar out of Calldyr, about to cross the Parapet in hopes to become a rider."

"Riorson." Cat greeted him. "I'm afraid I can't say the same about you. Your presence in this quadrant is expected." Her words and tone clipped, as if she's avoiding speaking to him and wants it to be over soon. "Or should I say.. it is required?" With a final look, she turned her back towards the man.

"Both, I was going to join the riders quadrant anyways even if the rebellion did not happen." Xaden grumbled as the two moves closer and closer towards the Parapet, two more and it's Catalina's turn to cross it.

Catalina observed the ones crossing it. They're doing terribly, and she bet she will too in a few minutes. 'My best strategy would be to not look down, keep my arms spread wide and straight on my sides, and keep walking straight.' She thought.

"I recommend to not fall down and die your grace." Catalina could see his smirk even with her back turned to him. The one in front of Catalina was called and she felt like throwing up when she realized she's next. "Keep your head high, once you step in, do not look down. If you do well you'll be across it within 30 minutes." He continued to ramble.

"I wasn't really asking." She narrowed her eyes at the stone path of death ahead of her, imagining its Xaden's head and already planning on stomping on it.

"Name?" the rider at the edge asks Catalina.

"Catalina Kozivar." she answered almost immediately. Despite her fear, Catalina held her had high, posture as perfect as ever and her hands steady at her sides as if she's certain she won't be one of the parapet's victims.

"Kozivar?" the rider asks, "like Augustus and Philip Kozivar?" the air of confidence grew around Catalina after hearing her grandfather and older brother's names.

"Yes."

"Damn." one of the riders at the side commented.

Damn indeed.

"Well, ready when you are your highness." the rider said. "Although, we don't encourage you to take your time." he grinned. Some candidates and riders let out a few sniggers as well.

Flames of anger burned inside her, but she distinguished them before they can cause damage. Catalina wasn't sure whether she's angry that they laughed at her, or that he got her title wrong. She instead smiled at the rider before tilting her head to the side. The hormonal riders shut up after realizing that they laughed at a goddess sent to earth who also happened to be the granddaughter of a former general and sister of a former section leader.