the ghost of christmas campaigns

◦☆*★ ━━━━━━ ★*☆◦

ONE MONTH LATER

DECEMBER 24

"Something is coming. Something angry. Hungry for your blood," Michael Wheeler said in an ominous voice. Samantha Hughes was hunched over her character's information sheet, raising an intrigued eyebrow as he went on. Mike was looking around at the entire Party, "It is almost here."

William Byers leaned forward, "What is it?"

"It's the Thessalhydra, I'm telling you," Dustin Henderson answered confidently.

Sam scoffed pessimistically, "Oh, I hope so."

"It's not the Thessalhydra," Lucas Sinclair told the two friends, always quick to shoot down Dustin's theories.

Mike's hand slammed down on the table, placing down a figurine Sam had yet to distinguish, "The Thessalhyrda!"

"Shit," Dustin muttered while Lucas agitatedly said, "Damn it!"

"You guys are such nerds," Corey Gray commented from the couch in Mike's basement. He still had no clue how D&D worked, and after multiple attempts teaching him how to play, they all decided it was better to let him observe than actively participate.

"It roars in anger!" Mike ignored Corey, dramatically mimicking the Thessalhydra. "Will, your action!"

Will shook his head in distress, "What should I do?!"

"Fireball him!" Lucas shouted.

Will and Lucas looked to Sam and Dustin, waiting for them to disagree and tell Will to cast protection. But Sam and Dustin were sharing eye contact of their own, and Sam knew they were on the same page.

"Well, Specks?" Dustin said it like an offer, to which Sam had to hold back an eye roll.

"You know, you can't call me that now," said Sam. "I don't have glasses, anymore."

Dustin was (unfortunately) accustomed to calling Sam "Specks," even when she hadn't worn her glasses in a month. When Uncle Dan found out she broke her glasses, he was so mad that he no longer trusted Sam not to break another pair of glasses. While he did buy Sam a new pair, he didn't really allow her to wear them outside the house, anymore. Now, Sam had to wear contacts (and, yes, he did scream at her about how expensive all of this was).

"But," Sam continued, nodding with Dustin, "I say Fireball."

Dustin smirked, looking to Will. "Fireball the son of a bitch."

The Party all shared smiles, even Corey who was trying to hide his fondness from the couch. Will picked up two D-10's, enthusiastically rolling it in his hands before throwing it on the table.

"Fourteen!"

The Party members released joyful cheers, because Will needed a seven or higher for that to hit, and he just landed a number that was more than enough!

"It's a direct hit! Will the Wise's fireball hits the Thessalhydra! It makes a painful—" Mike let out a screeching sound before he fell to the table. "And then... it crumbles to the ground. Its clawed hand reaches for you one, last time, and... and... and... and—"