love in the air, flowers in her hair

◦☆*★ ━━━━━━ ★*☆◦

It was a long ride, but not a miserable one. Honestly, the domesticity of riding in a stolen trailer with your friends as you prepare to go fight an interdimensional wizard was remarkable. Sam was content to sit on the cushioned couch with Max for the rest of the journey; although, people like Lucas, Dustin, and Erica would come in and out to sit with them. Sam enjoyed it. Just for a moment, she could trick her mind that the Party was fine and intact.

Steve suddenly parked the trailer, causing the few sleeping members to jolt awake. Auggie was one of the few, and Steve only apologized when Auggie grumbled in upset. They decided that all the Hellfire Club members had to stay behind, especially Eddie, considering that the town of Hawkins wasn't very happy with them at the moment. They may be out of Hawkins, but they couldn't take any foolish risks.

Sam got up to go into the store with the rest of the group and was immediately stopped by everyone's protests.

"Woah, woah, woah, you're not going with us, Goldie!"

Sam gaped in offense. "What? Why not?!"

"Um—" Steve gestured to her, like the answer should be obvious. "You're the one who literally just said Hellfire members shouldn't go 'cause they're wanted."

"Yeah, to keep them safe!" she protested.

"You're wanted, too!" Auggie pointed out.

The reminder was like cold water being dumped over Sam's heart. If anyone squinted, they would've noted her grimacing flinch. Sam breathed, heavily, staring back at those arguing Sam's presence in War Zone.

"Sam," Nancy's broke in softly. Her eyes were sympathetic on Sam in a way that told her Nancy knew exactly what was going on in her mind. "Just stay here for a sec. It'll be fine, okay?"

But Sam did not echo Nancy. She stared, still uncertain, fists clenching.

"I'll even buy you a gun and bullets," Nancy offered in sing-songy tone.

Sam opened her mouth to protest, inhaling a large breath of air with her, but the complaint fell silent from Sam's lips. All factors considered, it wasn't that bad of a deal.

"Fine," Sam gave in. "But I want a handgun, okay?"

Everyone let out little smiles that Sam gave in to this, specific battle. Nancy worried it would've been much more of a fight from Sam's end. Luckily, just this once, it wasn't.

Nancy saluted at Sam. "Yes, ma'am."

And then Max, Erica, Auggie, Robin, Steve, and Nancy were exiting the trailer. Sam, Lucas, Dustin, and Eddie were being unfortunately left behind. The three boys didn't seem to care much about this alignment, but Sam was getting restless. She didn't like doing nothing, feeling useless, especially since she'd been caught in Vecna's trance. Nothing could combat that horrifying feeling of being stuck in her own mind. It was awful and unimaginable.

Nothing was worse than that, so Sam guessed she could handle waiting in a small mobile trailer for a little while.

◦☆*★ ━━━━━━ ★*☆◦

The business in War Zone was certainly booming. There wasn't a single doubt about it.

Honestly, Stephanie wasn't totally sure she'd ended up here. When she suggested the thought to Aunt Kat, Stephanie hadn't expected her aunt to say yes. Apparently, Aunt Kat really was cool now; apparently, her breaking point was people threatening to hurt her youngest niece.