ghostbusters, scarecrows, and murderers - oh my!

◦☆*★ ━━━━━━ ★*☆◦

"I thought you didn't even want to go Trick-or-Treating this year," Stephanie commented, holding Sam's chin with her hand. She was painting on Sam's face with various shades of oranges and yellows, and some black here and there. The costume Sam, Stephanie, and Corey ended up putting together was a very last-minute scarecrow.

Sam wore a white turtleneck of her own, with an old, oversized flannel of Corey's on top of it. Then, she also had on overalls of his that Corey no longer wanted, with a hat of Aunt Kat's they'd stolen from her room. In between Sam's layers of clothes, they stuffed her with straw taken from Aunt Kat's hay-bale Halloween decoration outside. The boots she wore were being borrowed ("yes, Steph, I know I'm just borrowing them, jeez") from Stephanie, and she'd also advised Sam to just leave her hair down in its naturally wavy state (they hadn't tried tackling the hair straightener since Will's fake funeral).

The only thing they needed to do now was Sam's face paint. Currently, Stephanie was dressed up in her Shaggy costume while painting on the circle cheeks, triangular nose, and stitched smile to Sam's face.

"Well, I didn't," Sam started, trying not to shiver at the cold paint being applied to her face. "But I made a friend today, and I think she's coming with us, so."

Sam shrugged.

"Wait," Corey interjected from where his legs were dangling off the side of Stephanie's bed. "Max is coming with us?"

Sam turned her head to Corey, confused that he was confused, until it hit her. She exhaled sharply. "See, I knew they didn't take a vote!"

"Stop moving your head!" Stephanie hissed, gripping harshly onto Sam's chin again and forcing Sam to look forward. As she continued painting, Stephanie commented, "Proud of you for making a friend that's not an idiot boy. You need more of a female influence in your life."

Sam protested, "I've made another friend that's a girl!" quicker than she should have.

Disbelieving, Stephanie stopped painting to send Sam a deadpan look. "Really? Like who?"

El, Sam wanted to say, but forgot that she couldn't.

Panicked for speaking too fast, Sam made worried eye contact with Corey, who also looked nervous. He shook his head and shrugged cluelessly, being no help at all.

"Uh..." Sam racked her brain for a lie, making eye contact with Stephanie again. "Well, you, right? You're my friend?"

And luckily, Stephanie looked like she felt bad for being so rude about Sam's choice of wording. Sam let out a relieved breath that the sad, little sister move worked once again.

"Yeah, Sammy," Stephanie smiled encouragingly, though it didn't quite meet her eyes. "I am."

Sam laughed nervously, sharing a look with Corey in a way that definitely was not smooth. "Right. Awesome. Yeah..."

She really hated keeping secrets from Stephanie. 

◦☆*★ ━━━━━━ ★*☆◦

At 7:00, Sam, Lucas, Mike, Corey, and Dustin left Mike's house with their pillowcase bags in hand to meet up with Will and begin Trick-or-Treating. In perfect timing, Jonathan's car pulled up outside of Mike's right as they were walking across Mike's large lawn. They all called out greetings to Will, waving as Jonathan's car slowed to a stop.