Chapter Five

Two months. Two months of Ashanti dating Lucas and probably the most amazing couple months she's experienced in a long time. The more time she spent talking to him, the more head over heels she fell for him. He was like a dream. He takes her out to lunch when he is able to or brings lunch to her job, he takes her on little dates doing things that are actually fun, and if they aren't around each other, they're always on the phone with each other.

Lucas will even send her a good-morning text to start her day. They haven't kissed yet and he doesn't try to push it either. He still hasn't been inside her actually apartment building to even see where she lives at and allows her to do things at her comfort. It's like it's too good to be true.

The weather had quickly cooled off and it wasn't long before it was the holiday season. First up, Halloween.

"So, I'm going to have a little Halloween kickback at my place." Gia said. "You should invite Lucas."

"Yeah, I'll ask him if he can come." Ashanti said as she organized one of the clothing racks.

"So, are you two a thing now or..."

Ashanti shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know, honestly. We've never talked about it, but I'm not surprised cause we haven't even kissed yet and-"

"You still haven't kissed?" Gia cut in, shock laced in her voice.

"I mean.. yeah.." Ashanti blushed in embarrassment. "He doesn't push it so neither do I. I want to take things slow and he respects that."

"Do your family know about him?"

"Nope and it's gonna stay that way until I feel comfortable." She stated.

The sound of the door opening grabbed their attention and they both looked to see Lucas walking in. Each time Ashanti sees Lucas in his uniform, she has to stop herself from drooling over him.

"Hey, Ladies. Having a good day so far?" He asked, as he walked over to give Ashanti a hug and kiss on the head.

"So far so good. I was just telling Ash about my Halloween party and how she should invite you." Gia said.

"Oh really. Well, Ashanti, let me know the details and I'll see if I can come."

Before she could say anything, Lucas had gotten a code over the radio. He responded to dispatch before saying bye and rushing out of the store.

"Ash, I don't know how you can see that and not have sex with him, or even a kiss." Gia gawked at the idea.

Ashanti shrugged her shoulders. "I'm saving myself for the right one. I want to take it slow and not let my heart take over like last time."

Gia didn't argue, thinking back to Eric and how Ashanti was so in love with him that she ignored all the red flags but he kept promising her he'd change.

~~

"Gia!" Ashanti called out, hoping she'd hear her over the music.

Gia walked into the room, fully dressed in her cowgirl costume. She had a red solo cup in one hand and a shot glass in the other.

"Can you zip me up?" I asked, turning to show her my backside.

"Why? We both know Lucas is gonna unzip it later." She teased, pulling the zipper up.

Gia grabbed the shot glass from where she sat it and handed it to Ashanti, who took it without a second thought. She made a face as the liquor went down her throat. She wasn't a huge drinker, but also wasn't against it.

Ashanti gave herself one last look in the mirror before leaving Gia's guest room. The music became louder and when she got downstairs, there were people drinking and dancing on each other. There was a knock on the door that she managed to hear and answered it. She opened it to see Lucas standing there in a pirate costume. Ashanti couldn't deny how sexy he looked.